04 Yz450f Valves

7 replies to this topic
  • Barczak

Posted March 04, 2009 - 09:37 AM

So yesterday i checked my vavles clearences. Both the Intake and Exhaust valves were out of spec. Two of the Intake were .08mm and one was .10mm. The Exhaust i could forcefully fit .32mm but a .25mm felt like it was pretty snug :moon:
Any advice would be great im probably going to pick up a shim kit today and some new tools. :p :ride:

• Barczak

Posted March 05, 2009 - 07:47 AM

anyone have an opinion? should i keep them how they are or should i adjust them?

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2009 - 07:57 AM

First, the spec on the exhuast is .20-.25mm. I don't know what you're doing with the .32.

Second, since the book calls for .10-.15 on the intakes, and two of them are at .08, then obviously they need adjustment.

Shim kits are a waste of money unless you are in the business of working on these things. If you have two valves out, you'll probably be able to use the shim from one in the other, and get the second one from a dealer for $6. If your Yamaha dealer doesn't have them, check the Honda store. They most likely will. Shims for CRF450's and most other big Japanese MX 4T's are the same 9.48mm diameter.

• Barczak

Posted March 05, 2009 - 08:07 AM

Thanks gray. I just wanted a second opinion sence this will be the first time im acculy going to work on the bike, other then maintenance. So i should pick up 3 170 for intake and 2 185 for exhaust?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2009 - 08:11 AM

So i should pick up 3 170 for intake and 2 185 for exhaust?

Why? You only have two intake valves out of spec. The one at .10 is fine.

What shims are in the two intakes that are at .08?

What is the actual clearance of the two exhausts?

• Barczak

Posted March 05, 2009 - 09:18 AM

I just checked them again. The exhaust is fine. .20mm slid in .25mm was hard to get in. note-but i could fit a .45mm in but it sounded like it acculy moved the spring and valve, not sure if it matters.
All intake took a .08 but i couldnt get the .10mm in
havnt checked the shim sizes yet just checked the clearence.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2009 - 09:59 AM

I just checked them again. The exhaust is fine. .20mm slid in .25mm was hard to get in. note-but i could fit a .45mm in but it sounded like it acculy moved the spring and valve, not sure if it matters.
All intake took a .08 but i couldnt get the .10mm in
havnt checked the shim sizes yet just checked the clearence.

If you haven't checked the shims, you have no way of knowing what's in there. It will be a mix of several sizes, and as I say, you will probably be able to move one or more of them to a different location. for instance if one has a 188, and the one next to it has a 185, moving the 185 to replace the 188 will open up .03mm more clearance, and you will have .11, instead of .08. Then you'd only need to buy two.

• Barczak

Posted March 05, 2009 - 01:07 PM

alright i took the cams off and checked the shim sizes. 186 188 186. going to the yamaha dealership to pick up 2 new shims

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.