1999 Yz 400 ??

5 replies to this topic
  • JonBrewer1981

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:48 AM

I just got my first four stroke, it's a 1999 YZ 400, It runs good but backfires and the header pipe glows red sometimes and the bike doesn’t want to idle , I was just wondering if this is normal? It has an fmf power bomb header with the fmf power core 4 muffler. When you’re riding the bike it seems to run good, just backfires and doesn’t want to idle and the header pipe was glowing red. Any info you can give me would be great, Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2009 - 07:26 AM

If you let the engine run at a standstill for more than about one minute, the header will glow. Normal.

If you let it run about 30 seconds longer than that (maybe more), it will push coolant out of the radiators. Also normal.

Raise the idle speed a little and adjust the mixture:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

Download a manual:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• JonBrewer1981

Posted March 04, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Ok, That's good to know. Thaks for the info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 400f mech

Posted March 05, 2009 - 07:29 PM

backfire is a sign of running lean, try getting 1 size bigger main jet or move your needle up one

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2009 - 07:58 PM

try getting 1 size bigger main jet or move your needle up one

Neither of these has anything to do with decel backfire.

• Birdy426

Posted March 05, 2009 - 09:43 PM

backfire is a sign of running lean, try getting 1 size bigger main jet or move your needle up one

It can also be a sign of running rich...but check the easy stuff first...is the gasket at the header to midpipe joint in good shape and is the clamp tight?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.