Paddle for YZ426... What size

25 replies to this topic
  • M0SSLAGER

Posted March 03, 2009 - 10:45 PM

Taking my YZ426 to Glamis in about a week. I'm running with a 13/50 ratio. Bike is otherwise stock. It does have a E-Line stator that adds fly wheel weight. What is the preferred paddle for this bike... 10, 8, or 6 paddle? Also, on a 13/50 with paddle do I need to add a link?

• DrThumper

Posted March 04, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Don't do it man!
Paddles ruin YZF's (and any other four stroke SX bike).
If you want to run around in the dunes go get an old CR500 or YZ490 or something else that is huge, indestructible, and easy to fix.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2009 - 01:50 PM

Don't do it man!

Why would you say that?

• husqy360

Posted March 04, 2009 - 04:48 PM

im riding about 3 times a year with a paddle tire. no chance i buy a 2t monster for 3 days!!

• shanedut

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:01 PM

I personally like the 8 paddles but you could probably run a 10 paddle might take some hp away. With that 13/50 gearing you might have to get a longer chain so you don't have any rub on your swing arm depending on the paddle you run. I know I switch chains just cause I normally run O-ring chains but have ruined a few of them in the sand, mostly from not making sure they were lubed good. So now I run non o-ring chains in the sand.

• Drav

Posted March 05, 2009 - 05:37 PM

I ran a 8 paddle on my 426 when I had it, running a 10 on my 06 though

• tnl

Posted March 05, 2009 - 08:44 PM

I run an 8 and think a 10 would be a little much in the deep, fluffy stuff (deep,tall bowls) at slow to med. speeds. Then again I'm over 200 # dry, no gear. 14/48 gearing. Also, remove your rear shock flap or you'll be buying a new one the following Monday either because the tire ate it or it fell off.

• M0SSLAGER

Posted March 08, 2009 - 06:34 AM

Ok guys, went with a new rear 48 tooth and an 8 paddle. Took 4 links out of a new 520/120 link Goldchain (non-oring). after I put my weight on it and the chain is way too tight. I will slide the wheel forward a little but like you all said, I am close to the swing arm and will need to ditch the flap. Now for another question... I went ahead and bought a second Twin Air filter and have it oiled and ready should I need to change it mid trip... but a friend said I should throw a pantyhose over my filter since I don't have an Outterware and also and block my intake vents with panty hose material for insurance... anybody else do this?

• tnl

Posted March 08, 2009 - 07:02 AM

I would do the pantyhose thing if you don't have an outer ware and use the pantyhose to cover the crankcase breather hose too. If you have a second filter then use it mid trip. Add a second master link if you need to. I always take only one link out at time to make sure it's not too short. Only takes about 5 minutes to grind and punch a link out.

• M0SSLAGER

Posted March 08, 2009 - 08:39 AM

I would do the pantyhose thing if you don't have an outer ware and use the pantyhose to cover the crankcase breather hose too. If you have a second filter then use it mid trip. Add a second master link if you need to. I always take only one link out at time to make sure it's not too short. Only takes about 5 minutes to grind and punch a link out.

Good ideas there. I think you are right on the master link idea. I possibly took 1 too many off. Yesterday was a learning day. Did my first tire removal and paddle install by hand and can tell you that sucks. I wanted to get the routine down though incase I get a flat while on vacation. Thx.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted June 02, 2009 - 05:14 PM

just got a Sand Snake MX 10 paddles for my 06, will try it this weekend.

can you had 3 master links? already got 2 on.

what about runing 14 in the front? i go 3rd 4th gear up the hills, with 14 i can go 2nd 3rd. will it rub all the power? rear is 49

and will the chain fit the 13 case saver with 14 t up front?

• REDBULLRICK

Posted June 02, 2009 - 05:31 PM

Don't do it man!
If you want to run around in the dunes go get an old CR500 or YZ490 or something else that is huge, indestructible, and easy to fix.

my moms has 4 solid years of riding her crf450 at glamis her bike is fine:ride: ..some people are TOOLS.

• M0SSLAGER

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:50 AM

Update... as in my previous post you can see how I set the bike up. This is late, but the bike did awesome. I lined up with a 700 Raptor at Oldsmobile Hill "Olds" twice and took him both times on this old 426. It was close at the top but for an 8 year old bike I am happy. No complaints w/the 8 paddle.

http://i543.photobuc...pg?t=1244048033

http://i543.photobuc...pg?t=1244048141

• dukeyaz

Posted June 03, 2009 - 10:33 AM

Not sure why someone would think the 426 cant handle the dunes. Mine has been their approx 16 days a year for the last 4 years. My brother goes more than I do and he also has a 2001 426.
I change the oil before and after every trip.
Run an 8 paddle tire.
I run stock front gear and 51 tooth on the rear for the dunes.
My Bike:
http://s165.photobuc...ent=ACJump1.jpg
My brothers Bike:
http://s165.photobuc...nt=BWCjump1.jpg

• AZ Dave

Posted June 03, 2009 - 09:02 PM

Update... as in my previous post you can see how I set the bike up. This is late, but the bike did awesome. I lined up with a 700 Raptor at Oldsmobile Hill "Olds" twice and took him both times on this old 426. It was close at the top but for an 8 year old bike I am happy. No complaints w/the 8 paddle.

http://i543.photobuc...pg?t=1244048033

http://i543.photobuc...pg?t=1244048141

Man, there is no one at Glamis this time of year. What was the weather like? I'm there 2 weekends a month from Oct-Mar, but never really gave any thought to going out there in June :crazy:

• REDBULLRICK

Posted June 04, 2009 - 06:27 AM

i still go during summer,it does get hot but if you want to cool down quick jump into the canal:smirk:

• M0SSLAGER

Posted June 04, 2009 - 10:11 AM

Man, there is no one at Glamis this time of year. What was the weather like? I'm there 2 weekends a month from Oct-Mar, but never really gave any thought to going out there in June :crazy:

My trip was in March... I was a little late updating my thread. It was warm enough then to decide its time for Pismo.

• DMC707

Posted June 04, 2009 - 11:28 AM

This thread really makes me want to hit the dunes again now.

I havent been that excited about it because of how potentially destructive the sand can be, but its also tons of fun

That said, the YZF is staying at home i think in favor of this one -- it is a sand dune maniac , ---- but if i didnt have a big Kwacker, i wouldnt hesitate to take the 4 banger if it was all i had. ---------- I use an 8 paddle --- the 500 has surplus horsepower for me though, so i wouldnt hesitate to use a 10 paddle

Posted Image

• REDBULLRICK

Posted June 04, 2009 - 12:03 PM

ive been to pismo a few times but glamis is alot closer to me than pismo, plus pismo is kinda small compared to glamis.

• M0SSLAGER

Posted June 04, 2009 - 01:25 PM

ive been to pismo a few times but glamis is alot closer to me than pismo, plus pismo is kinda small compared to glamis.

You're right, Pismo is no comparison for G, but during summer its nice to hit some dunes where its still in the 70's and you can go for a swim when you're all done. The problem with Pismo for me is I can't make it a weekend trip like Glamis and need to go for at least 4 full days to justify the haul up there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.