dyno jet or a JD jet kit

16 replies to this topic
  • cokecrazed007

Posted March 03, 2009 - 09:30 PM

Which is a better jet kit for a DRZ 400S, the dynojet or the JD kit? What are the main differences?

• 2WYKD

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:14 AM

the conventional wisdom is that the JD kit is a better kit

• karl_lankford

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:16 AM

Sorry to be a spas - whats the JD kit?

• f2dog

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:22 AM

Sorry to be a spas - whats the JD kit?

James Dean Jetting - Jets and needles for carbs. Much like dynojet ,but a bit better for the drz

• yankeeave

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:25 AM

Go with JD jet kit from TT Store comes with everything including float bowl screws and easy to follow instructions.

• kman780

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:48 AM

+1 on everything here...

The DJ kit works well and so does the JD kit. But as everyone has mentioned the JD kit has more jetting options and also comes with everything you need. You may want to get a extended fuel screw with the kit, it makes tuning easier.

• GOF1

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Both work well. The JD kit is more complete.

• craigs449

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:15 PM

+4 for the JD jet kit and don't forget the fuel screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ikhoefnix

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:27 PM

+1 on everything here...

The DJ kit works well and so does the JD kit. But as everyone has mentioned the JD kit has more jetting options and also comes with everything you need. You may want to get a extended fuel screw with the kit, it makes tuning easier.

another +1

• suzuki sm nut 123

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:21 PM

another +1

another vote for the jd kit. I have used both and the jd kit will save you time and money becouse it is a more complet kit.

• Twinjetguy

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:24 PM

I have to agree with everyone on here. Dynojet has always made a great product, I have one in my DRZ. From what I understand, the JD kit comes with more options. Either way, you're going to get your jetting right. If you do purchase the Dynojet, just make sure you order the correct one. S vs SM and stage 1 vs stage 3.

• cokecrazed007

Posted March 04, 2009 - 07:37 PM

thanks guys for your info, I will get a JD kit:ride: :p

• kenr74

Posted March 04, 2009 - 08:43 PM

If you are set on a kit the JD is fine but I would skip it and go straight to the FCR. I was not very impressed with the kit and ended up selling it.

• cokecrazed007

Posted March 04, 2009 - 08:54 PM

I haven't of FCR who makes it and why is better

• craigs449

Posted March 04, 2009 - 08:58 PM

FCR is a bigger carb, rather than a kit to enhance the performance of yours. The FCR can be ordered from the TT store but there is a waiting list as long as my arm for one right now. You can look around and find someone selling a used FCR 39 carb for your bike. All in all, the jet kit and 3x3 is a good start. You can always upgrade the carb later. Just my opinion.

• pi3832

Posted March 05, 2009 - 08:00 AM

If you are set on a kit the JD is fine but I would skip it and go straight to the FCR. I was not very impressed with the kit and ended up selling it.

When they start selling the FCRs for $40 that will make sense. But at the current $500 price tag, the FCR and the jet kit really aren't comparable options.

• kenr74

Posted March 05, 2009 - 08:21 AM

When they start selling the FCRs for $40 that will make sense. But at the current $500 price tag, the FCR and the jet kit really aren't comparable options.

True. If your goal is more power though I would skip the kit and save for the carb. The kit will make the bike run better but your not going to get a big increase in power like you would with a carb.

If you just want to do the 3x3 and a pipe for now just go spend $5 on jets. I wasn't impressed with the custom needle the kit comes with but I guess my expectations were too high.

I know the needle does help with the power delivery but how much is the question. I would love to see a dyno of the same bike with the only difference being the needles. It seems to me that if the needle was so great there would be a dyno chart showing where the gains are.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.