08 YZ450F Steerring nut wrench

15 replies to this topic
  • Gmen08-450

Posted March 03, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I just got back from the Yamaha dealership where they tried to charge me $75.00 for a steering nut wrench. My questions are this.

1. Do I need to worry about torquing that bolt back to what yamaha says in the manual?

and

2. For those of you who have bought the tool, would you say this tool is comparable and would work for the job? http://pitposse.stor...poadststwr.html

Any help you can lend is much appreciated.

• MSRYAMAHA250F

Posted March 03, 2009 - 02:12 PM

I do have the pit posse wrench and it works perfectly. I work at a yamaha dealership, have dealt with their wrench and i think the Pit posse one is just fine.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2009 - 02:13 PM

Well, I use this:

http://s.sears.com/i...usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

The nut only torques to 5 ft/lb (after snugging down some tighter than that and re-loosening). Just grab the ring nut so the plier jaws grip the edges of the slots and it works fine for me. Otherwise, you can probably find something much cheaper than the Yamaha tool at a used tool house.

• mc1hd

Posted March 03, 2009 - 02:20 PM

I use a old spring spanner wrench, hammer and punch will work in a pinch though.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2009 - 03:06 PM

... hammer and punch will work in a pinch though.

They are never tight enough to need that.

• Wiz636

Posted March 03, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Well, I use this:

The nut only torques to 5 ft/lb (after snugging down some tighter than that and re-loosening). Just grab the ring nut so the plier jaws grip the edges of the slots and it works fine for me.

Same here :p

• DND

Posted March 03, 2009 - 06:57 PM

I use an old school bicycle bottom bracket wrench like this Park HCW-5
http://www.parktool....51222_30243.jpg
Not quite the perfect diameter but it works and I already had one. Any decent bike shop can hook you up for very little cash.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:21 PM

I use an old school bicycle bottom bracket wrench like this Park HCW-5
http://www.parktool....51222_30243.jpg
Not quite the perfect diameter but it works and I already had one. Any decent bike shop can hook you up for very little cash.

Then, if you want to do something trick, drill a hole in it and file out a 3/8" square in the shank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DND

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:25 PM

Then, if you want to do something trick, drill a hole in it and file out a 3/8" square in the shank.

I like that. Any thoughts on how far from the center of the steerer tube that should be to allow the torque reading to be accurate?

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:43 PM

I like that. Any thoughts on how far from the center of the steerer tube that should be to allow the torque reading to be accurate?

Within 3" should be good. If you connect the torque wrench at right angles as shown in the manual, the length is only marginally significant.

• Wes Woodin

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:48 PM

I put on a glove and use my hand! I tighten it as tight as I can and it usually works perfectly!:p

• DND

Posted March 03, 2009 - 09:03 PM

Within 3" should be good. If you connect the torque wrench at right angles as shown in the manual, the length is only marginally significant.

Thanks, I'll have it all apart in the coming weeks and give this a go. Suspension is off to DaveJ at Smart Performance for the works and I'll be greasing everything as we all know they don't come with adequate lubrication from the factory. It's amazing the things a guy can get done patiently waiting for 3' of snow to melt.

• mitchicle

Posted March 03, 2009 - 09:51 PM

I made this out of a spanner wrench, used an old socket and welded it to the spanner wrench. Pretty cheap. :p
Posted Image

• DPW

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:29 AM

Well, I use this:

I put on a glove and use my hand! I tighten it as tight as I can and it usually works perfectly!:p

I use a combo of the two....

• Gmen08-450

Posted March 04, 2009 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for all the help on this. after reading the manual a little more in depth I have decided to enlist the help of my crescent wrench to get the job done. Now heres a little follow up question. I am re-greasing the head unit bearings due to water getting inside the head and comprimising the grease (which I should have done this from the get go since I bought the bike new and have read that factory grease does not quite do the job). Since I dont want any of the old grease to go back into the head unit, my next question is this, Should I just go out and buy new bearings or is there a recomended solution to soak these in so that I can get all the old grease out so I can put the new on? I have pleanty of brake contact cleaner but just not sure if that will do the job. any ips or tricks are appreciated. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2009 - 04:30 PM

The nearest thing you can get to real shop solvent in the public marketplace is Mineral Spirits, available in hardware and paint stores.

Be sure you pack grease well into the bearing assembly. An inexpensive bearing packer from an auto parts house is a good investment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.