2003 Wr450 In The Sand????

11 replies to this topic
  • Pasta

Posted March 03, 2009 - 10:00 AM

It might just be me???:ride: But no matter what I do I cannot get my 2003 WR450 to handle in the sand... I have changed tire pressure, adjusted the forks up and down, and even shifted my weight while riding. No matter what i do as soon as I hit any real sand the bike wants to dive left or right.... I was thinking of rebuilding my rear swingarm pivot... But its costly and the swingarm dosent seem to have any play in it.....My old bike was a CR250 that lived in the sand only... Even with a rear dirt tire it handled 10 times better in the san than my WR.:moon:
Any Ideas???:p

Thanks...

• brad the best

Posted March 03, 2009 - 12:25 PM

what tires are you running ?

• Pasta

Posted March 03, 2009 - 03:16 PM

I am running a Maxxis Desert IT in the front - Witch I hate... And a Maxxis SI In the rear

• graazzy

Posted March 03, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Riding technique? Just relax and go with the flow man!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 03, 2009 - 05:38 PM

Look in the riding technique section. There is alot posted about this.

I think that you will find that riding in the sand is just plain hard. Turn the handlebars as little as possible, do not let off the throttle (brake with it still on), lean way back, and let the bike wallow it's brains out if needed. The biggest mistake is turning with the handlebars, or letting off the throttle. Just lean, and don't let off!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 03, 2009 - 05:52 PM

using a front tire meant more for softer terrain will help greatly. Try using a maxxis SI in the front since you already have maxxis. Or use dunlop 756 or 773 they both work great as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:54 AM

There is no good way to make a heavy bike like a wr450 handle in the sand. The key is to lean back and be agressive. No lugging, keep the rpms up. The more agressive you are, the better it will be.

• raven-9

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:07 AM

Riding technique? Just relax and go with the flow man!

There is no good way to make a heavy bike like a wr450 handle in the sand. The key is to lean back and be agressive. No lugging, keep the rpms up. The more agressive you are, the better it will be.

do these things and all will be zen :p

back steers the front in sand keep that in mind

• DrzDasher

Posted March 04, 2009 - 10:02 PM

mine does fine in the sand give it gas maybe go a couple clicks down on the rebound in the front(bottom of fork)

• odlaw19

Posted March 05, 2009 - 06:42 PM

Sit back a bit and stay on the gas! Dont fight it, go with the flow :p

• MaddogYZ

Posted March 05, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Definitely stay on the gas to keep the front wheel light. The WR has heavy engine breaking coupled with soft suspension and being heavy it dives big time as soon as you roll off the throttle.

• Fullbore4

Posted March 17, 2009 - 12:28 PM

It might just be me???:banghead: But no matter what I do I cannot get my 2003 WR450 to handle in the sand... I have changed tire pressure, adjusted the forks up and down, and even shifted my weight while riding. No matter what i do as soon as I hit any real sand the bike wants to dive left or right.... I was thinking of rebuilding my rear swingarm pivot... But its costly and the swingarm dosent seem to have any play in it.....My old bike was a CR250 that lived in the sand only... Even with a rear dirt tire it handled 10 times better in the san than my WR.:banghead:
Any Ideas???:)

Thanks...

I'm not sure if the following swingarm linkage listed on ebay will fit an 03 but its worth a look. It would be nice to have an extra linkage so one could be greased and ready to swap out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.