Aluminum bushing thingie?

7 replies to this topic
  • MOmilkman

Posted August 07, 2002 - 04:52 AM

Running a FMF silencer and stock header -

Where do you get a replacement aluminum bushing that connects the header and silencer? I tried FMF and they werent any help.

I cant remember if the one thats on there now came stock or with the silencer. Its completely worn out and exhaust is escaping though.

Any ideas? Something at the hardware store works mabye?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 07, 2002 - 05:03 AM

I had no luck getting one for mine, either. So I made one from some thin steel sheet metal from Home Depot. I suppose aluminum would work, too, maybe better than steel because it's softer and may squish out a bit.

I cut a strip of sheet metal about 1-1/4" wide and just long enough to wrap once around the header without overlapping. Then I formed it around the header to make it cylindrical. I make sure that when I put them together, the seams in the homemade bushing and the muffler flange do not overlap. It fits just inside the header/muffler joint and forms a (nearly) perfect seal.

• Merfman

Posted August 07, 2002 - 05:10 AM

I bought mine for $7 at the local moto-shop.

Just checked partsfish and they're $7.60

Merf

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Merfman ]

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 07, 2002 - 07:56 AM

Merfman,

Are you referring to the stock muffler gasket? The stock gasket won't fit on my FMF muffler- it is way too big. That's why I had to make one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOmilkman

Posted August 07, 2002 - 08:07 AM

See... this is why thumper talk rules...

I let you guy hash out which is the best way and then thats what I do! :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Old_Novice

Posted August 07, 2002 - 08:09 AM

MOmilkman, my riding buddy just went through this with his YZ. FMF recommended hi-temp RTV. He wound up taking his FMF SA to a local muffler shop where they cut off the FMF flange and welded on then expanded a slightly larger piece so the Yamaha factory gasket would work. Now he can quickly switch between the two mufflers without the RTV mess and using the factory gasket/clamp has no exhaust leaks.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Old_Novice ]

• Merfman

Posted August 07, 2002 - 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
Merfman,

Are you referring to the stock muffler gasket? The stock gasket won't fit on my FMF muffler- it is way too big. That's why I had to make one.

Yea, that's what I was talking about. Is the clearance between the header and muffler much smaller than the stock setup? If so, I didn't realize that...

Merf

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 07, 2002 - 04:34 PM

Thats odd.

I needed a new gasket for my fmf megamax II scilencer. I called fmf and they were more than happy to help. I needed new disk's to replace some damaged ones and they had them too.

They were more than helpfull.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.