lucas octane booster

11 replies to this topic
  • wellsy1

Posted March 02, 2009 - 05:23 PM

In my manual and on the bike when I bought it, it said to run 95octane or higher. Since I;m sure not all of us have the acsess to race gas, I run Chevron 94octane. Thats the highest octane I can get from the pumps. Has anyone tried or recommened triing lucas octane booster for motorcycles. It said on the bottle that it could be used in dirtbikes. If so would you have to rejet the carb? Its all ready bang on with the jet kit, and fuel screw i've added. And what would you have to change? "looked back a few pages had not seen this one yet" remember i'm a newbie:thumbsup:

• sirceo26

Posted March 02, 2009 - 05:31 PM

i wouldn't worry about one octane number as long as the plugs look good and you don't hear any detonation or anything

• wellsy1

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Does a higher octane give you more horsepower? And what octane is race gas? Not that I need more power just wondering.

• 642MX

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:36 PM

A stock (and properly jetted) YZF engine will run fine with 90 or 91 octane. :p

• 642MX

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does a higher octane give you more horsepower? And what octane is race gas? Not that I need more power just wondering.

Higher octane doesn't do anything for horsepower. You just need enough octane to keep the engine from spark-knocking. Too much octane will actually slow it down.

• yz007f

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:45 PM

Higher octane does not give you more hp in most cases.. Putting it in your tank in some cases can make less hp in your motor... Race gas can go from 87 - C16 which is 160 octane....There are alot more factors than just the octane when you are looking at using race gas. Alot of these fuels have different burn Characteristics slower burns etc.. For using octane boosters I would stay away from them, in most cases they will gum up your valves and head surfaces.

yz007f

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wellsy1

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks guys thats what I was thinking. I have no knocking and my bike burns nice and clean.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:24 PM

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it!

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:06 PM

In my manual and on the bike when I bought it, it said to run 95octane or higher. Since I;m sure not all of us have the acsess to race gas, I run Chevron 94octane. Thats the highest octane I can get from the pumps. Has anyone tried or recommened triing lucas octane booster for motorcycles. It said on the bottle that it could be used in dirtbikes. If so would you have to rejet the carb? Its all ready bang on with the jet kit, and fuel screw i've added. And what would you have to change? "looked back a few pages had not seen this one yet" remember i'm a newbie:thumbsup:

I assume from your signature line that you have an 06. My 07`s manual tells me the same thing, except it says 95 research octane. What that means is that the octane rating we get at the pump is a combined research-motor octane rating. If my memory serves correctly, the research
octane is always higher than motor octane, so 91 octane from the pump (remember, this is a combined averaged rating) should do you. It`s what I run in my 07 YZ 450F.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:49 PM

I assume from your signature line that you have an 06. My 07`s manual tells me the same thing, except it says 95 research octane. What that means is that the octane rating we get at the pump is a combined research-motor octane rating. If my memory serves correctly, the research
octane is always higher than motor octane, so 91 octane from the pump (remember, this is a combined averaged rating) should do you. It`s what I run in my 07 YZ 450F.

Kent is correct. The manual calls for 95 Research Octane Number (RON). US gas pumps are labeled with the Anti-Knock Index, which is an average of RON and the much lower Motor octane number (MON). 91 US pump octane equates to about 95-96 RON.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...893#post2827893

• wellsy1

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:45 AM

I see. I did not know that. Thanks again guys.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2009 - 10:50 AM

Octane number became equated with power output in the public mind during the early 50's, when bigger higher compression engines began to appear in more generally available cars. The high compression engines needed the octane, of course, and they produced more power, so many of the oil companies' marketing divisions began creating an association in their ads between the higher power and the use of their more expensive fuel. In truth, higher octane only allows the use of technology that produces more power. Octane itself is a non-power producing attribute, and adds no power to the equation at all.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.