Shift levers

11 replies to this topic
  • Charles De Mar

Posted March 02, 2009 - 02:53 PM

Well, I have a stock shift lever that needs replaced:busted: I'm up in the air on a sunline lever(aluminum), a moose steel lever or the lever that's way more expensive and could be bent under the right impact. I have read some reviews at Rocky mountain mc/atv and motosport. I never know how to gauge them. Guys complained that the aluminum shifters wouldn't stay tight. My stock is aluminum and it has never loosened. :p Did the guy clean the splines well before installing?(that can cause that problem) or is he just a tool that didn't tighten it enough? I'd say the two go hand in hand. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind something that has a little more clearance from the case.:ride:

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 02, 2009 - 03:31 PM

Never had any luck with aftermarket aluminum, specifically MSR.

I liked the Moose steel version or OEM..:p

• 06crf_er

Posted March 02, 2009 - 03:36 PM

If I needed to replace mine I'd be buying a hammerhead without question. I've never heard a bad thing about them, they look sick and are beefy as hell. It would take quite a hit to tweak it.

A little spendy for sure at $69 but for the bling and durability factor it might be worth it.

• Birdy426

Posted March 02, 2009 - 05:22 PM

I've had a sunline on my 426 for a couple of years with no issues.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:03 PM

If I needed to replace mine I'd be buying a hammerhead without question. I've never heard a bad thing about them, they look sick and are beefy as hell. It would take quite a hit to tweak it.

A little spendy for sure at $69 but for the bling and durability factor it might be worth it.

I could buy two shift levers for the price of a hammer head.

• husky300racer

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:12 PM

I have both msr and sunline shift levers on several of my bikes and never have a problem! The people who do have problems have worn shift shaft splines and don't relize it.:ride: personaly I 'd use the aluminum levers for the reason that if you hit something hard enough, It will bend or strip the splines on the shifter and not bend or damage your shift shaft, you will only have to spend $30 for a new one instead of ripping of your side case to replace the shift shaft. saves time and money!!:p I like the sunline best, they have a little more bling factor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alternative

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:40 PM

I tend to agree with yamahonda400, much better to rip the spline out of the lever than off the shaft.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:38 AM

thanks for the input fellas!

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:10 AM

I strongly suggest staying away from the MSR... poor machining.

I am no idiot, my splines were good and the thing was as tight as it was going to get even after I cut a bigger gap in it:bonk:

I have been most impressed with OEM or the Steel ones but I mount mine high as I have size 12 feet and to up-shift while standing I need to have it mounted high... I've heard the Hammerhead is a good option for the people with big feet

• GCannon

Posted March 03, 2009 - 09:11 AM

I strongly suggest staying away from the MSR... poor machining.

I am no idiot, my splines were good and the thing was as tight as it was going to get even after I cut a bigger gap in it:bonk:

I have been most impressed with OEM or the Steel ones but I mount mine high as I have size 12 feet and to up-shift while standing I need to have it mounted high... I've heard the Hammerhead is a good option for the people with big feet

+1 the MSR is too soft an flimsy the splines will rip out after a few rides and you will be widening the gap and retorqing until you get pissed off.

At which point I suggest you buy the OEM since it will last the longest. I am pretty easy on the shifter.

But my wife is the worst Transmission Stomper so I went with the steel for her. I just keep hoping that the shift drum and forks will hold together.:p

• husky300racer

Posted March 03, 2009 - 05:59 PM

[quote name='GCannon']+1 the MSR is too soft an flimsy the splines will rip out after a few rides

I must be easy on my shifters because I have 3 msr levers on my bikes and ride every weekend,and I never have to tighten mine.Let alone cut and torque it and they have been on there for about 2yrs.I have hit things and bent them alittle and they still didn't strip the splines. I just have to tweak them back a little.:p

• vwdrvr66

Posted March 12, 2009 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone have one of these. I got it on Ebay and I am not an rocket scientist , but it does not fit. I measured the OEM levers hole and it was 13mm, I tried to open the gap on the new shifter and is still does not measure 13mm, also the dam screw in not going to line up. Any ideas???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.