Mud in engine

19 replies to this topic
  • IFOL519

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:42 PM

I recently raced a hare scramble and I got stuck in the mud. It took 5 guys and about two hours to get my bike out. When we got the bike out and started it it made a strange noise but it still ran. When I got home I checked the radiators and they were empty and the I checked the oil and mud started to come out. I used oil and air to try and get it out but some mud is still coming out. What should I do? Do I keep doing this? I have not started the bike again
I run a 2007 yz450f
thanks

• psellers22

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:46 PM

I recently raced a hare scramble and I got stuck in the mud. It took 5 guys and about two hours to get my bike out. When we got the bike out and started it it made a strange noise but it still ran. When I got home I checked the radiators and they were empty and the I checked the oil and mud started to come out. I used oil and air to try and get it out but some mud is still coming out. What should I do? Do I keep doing this? I have not started the bike again
I run a 2007 yz450f
thanks

i would at least pull of the crankcase cover on both sides and inspect..but for on the radiators being completely empty i would be reaaaaally worried unless you find a hole in the cores somewhere....goodluck glad it not me :p and if it were me because im ocd with my bike i would take the motor out and tear it down and check everypart on it !!

• jo-hn1777

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:46 PM

i'd say if you really want to get it all out you're going to have to split the cases

• kawasakimx8

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:51 PM

split the cases, clean inspect, and assemble, and then flush it a couple times using some kind of cheap oil. then dump some good in and run it, after about 45 min, to 1 hour of riden, empty it out and change oil filter and oil.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:52 PM

No shortcuts. Tear the whole thing down and do it right. The potential expense in the alternative is just too big.

• IFOL519

Posted March 02, 2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the responses
I will open the motor and clean it out

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:16 PM

i would tear that whole motor apart no questions asked. i wouldent be surprise if you have to replace a lot of parts inside..

ie. clutch, bearings, valves ect..

• dylans503

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:21 PM

wow sucks man. its probably best that you tear it down

• etug321

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:40 AM

Make sure you disassemble the oil pump and clean it. Grit will grind into the case if left untouched.

• 642MX

Posted March 03, 2009 - 04:53 PM

Make sure you disassemble the oil pump and clean it.

I would just replace the oil pump and rotor, along with the main bearings and big end bearing (and anything else that doesn't look right).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simonrsv

Posted March 03, 2009 - 05:22 PM

Sorry to here that, I had a wr 426 only 200 miles old that got stuck in deep
mud , we had the same problem the bike would not start ,when we got it running rode 5 miles home,the engine was full of mud so we stripped the motor . I had to change oil pump,engine bearing, camshaft, piston and barrel
, the mud had blocked all the oil feeds and the mud must have been quite sandy because it looked like someone had shot blasted the internals.
I hope you have better luck

• IFOL519

Posted March 06, 2009 - 09:32 AM

Well as you guys said I took my motor to my mechanic and he opened it up and it was not pretty. Now I need to find alot of part so I was wondering if you guys knew were to get oem parts at low cost.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Well as you guys said I took my motor to my mechanic and he opened it up and it was not pretty. Now I need to find alot of part so I was wondering if you guys knew were to get oem parts at low cost.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp

• IFOL519

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:13 PM

I have purchased some of the parts I need such as the cylinder, piston and gaskets, but the head also was damaged so I need another one, my mechanic says he has one but he doesnt have the buckets that go ontop of the valves. The problem is I cant find were they sell them, I looked at the TT store but I could find them, anyone know were I could purchase them?
thanks for all the help

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have purchased some of the parts I need such as the cylinder, piston and gaskets, but the head also was damaged so I need another one, my mechanic says he has one but he doesnt have the buckets that go ontop of the valves. The problem is I cant find were they sell them, I looked at the TT store but I could find them, anyone know were I could purchase them?
thanks for all the help

Yamaha (or TT OEM). Right there on the Valve page in the parts book:

3FV-12153-10-00 (5 required )

• IFOL519

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:37 PM

I feel stupid now.
I was looking in the wrong place.
thanks

• schrode

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:40 PM

upside is you're going to have a brand new motor when all is said and done

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:06 PM

I feel stupid now.
I was looking in the wrong place.
thanks

It takes a while to get the hang of the parts book layout.

• Stupendous

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:30 PM

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp

www.servicehonda.com (yes they sell Yamaha) is actually cheaper so make sure you get TT to do the 110% price match difference. I just recently priced parts between the two sites when I was purchasing some OEM parts.

• Pilfer8

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:53 PM

http://cheapcyclepar...om/Street.aspx#

use the tt price guarantee:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.