WR45 E-start not working.. Just click click

14 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 16, 2003 - 08:50 PM

Today I put another 75 miles on the bike, ran great all day until mile 50 when I tried to start the bike and she wouldn't light up. When I push the button (even in neutral) I would just hear a click,over and over just a click whenever I pushed the button. Also I noticed the "grabby" clutch action when bike is off, meaning if I were in 1st gear with the engine off I could barely move the bike around the garage with the clutch pulled in, it felt like it was still in gear... I had the mod done to my clutch boss that should've eliminated the rumored "grabby clutch", I'm not sure that the clutch has anything to do with it.... But I'm kind of bummed because the E-start's not working...
As a side note, I've checked all cables and connections to the battery, everything's good....

any suggestions?

• WR450

Posted February 16, 2003 - 09:14 PM

Is your battery not a bit low

U are probably the first with this, so you are basically a pioneer with this fault.

• ddialogue

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:18 AM

WR450 makes a good point. What is the voltage level of the battery? We're assuming it kicks and runs just fine still?

• Drehwurm

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:49 AM

Servus Dan,

Many KTM EXCs had this problem in the beginning. Reason was a "not obviously" loose ground wire from the battery to the frame.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 17, 2003 - 05:32 AM

I'll bring my meter home from work today. I don't think it's a battery issue because the the "clicking" is intermitent (s?), sometimes the starter decides to engage and sometimes it doesn't. The starter isn't making a sound like the battery's almost dead, it's eigher working or not..
But I will check the voltage.....

Now I'm getting a little worried why my bike won't roll around the garage in gear with the clutch in. I'm sure this is something small, all of your suggestions help. :)

• r1superstar

Posted February 17, 2003 - 06:03 AM

Most Motorcycles won't unless the engine is warm and was running previous to tyring it. When the engine is cold, and you have it in gear with the clutch in, it's almost impossible to roll it around as you stated.

As for your problem. I suspect a loose battery terminal as previously stated................db :)

• Trick_Dual_Sport

Posted February 17, 2003 - 07:01 AM

It could be the relay or some switches. Check if the battey is OK then call me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • utvols

Posted February 17, 2003 - 07:54 AM

Would the bike still kick start. If not you may have joined the woodruff keys blues club. While mine continued to start with both methods, my two budies WR's just made the same noises you described without the e-start engaging. If thats not the case then I would track down your ground wires and check the overide switch on the clutch.

Let us know what you find.

• pdx_drz400

Posted February 17, 2003 - 12:00 PM

FWIW, my DRZ barely moves with the clutch pulled in-I think it's normal.

Try putting the voltmeter on the starter terminals to see what voltage is reading when you push button. If you get 12-14V then the problem is the starter or the mechanical engagement with the flywheel.

• captain_S

Posted February 17, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Dan,pull the starter an check it for any sign of damage on the pinion gears,i wonder if it may not be engaging/disengaging proper and giving you the extra drag on the engine and drive train when in gear!

• KiwiThumper

Posted February 17, 2003 - 03:55 PM

This may be obvious ... please dont shoot the messenger ..., but what oil are you running?
Is it possible the oil is simply too thick or the plates have "gummed" up from bad or incorrect oil.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:02 PM

When the engine is cold, and you have it in gear with the clutch in, it's almost impossible to roll it around as you stated.

R1, I hope you're right... I forgot to mention that I changed my oil last night (when I noticed I had a hard time rolling it). Man, If that's the case and that's just normal I'm buying beers all around....

I need to mention that the bike runs like a top fuel dragster when I kick start it (1st kick). The bike ran great all day and my woodruff key was good from the factory and I had my dealer check it just in case and all was good. Probably either a low battery or a ground issue. I can see it being a battery issue because I used it a lot yesterday and maybe the relay isn't getting enough power to get the starter going. I'm still at work and won't find out until tomorrow... You guys will be the first one's to know.

This may be obvious ... please dont shoot the messenger ..., but what oil are you running?
Is it possible the oil is simply too thick or the plates have "gummed" up from bad or incorrect oil.

Kiwi, Great question. I use Motul 3000 10w/40...

It's funny, we have more information on TT than most of the dealers have. They'll catch up eventually but it's all about strenth in numbers...

Dan :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 18, 2003 - 05:23 PM

Well, I took my battery into work today to give it a charge. I measured the voltage before a charge, it read 12.83Vdc. I charged it to it's maximum level of 13.23 (from my charger). I brought the battery home hoping that this was the problem, Nope!! I should have known, anything above 12 volts should be enough to spin the starter motor with authority. Sure enough it just clicked :). I then took the cover off the starter gear and removed the gear that connects the starter shaft to the motor just to see if the starter gear would spin without being engaged to the motor, after I spinned the shaft with my hand it would spin like crazy but after I pushed the button a few times it would die and not spin anymore (not when the button was pushed but in between starts it would go dead). My thoughts are that I have a bad starter unit.. I've checked the ground wire to the frame and it's solid!!!!!

Any thoughts????? :D

• Trick_Dual_Sport

Posted February 18, 2003 - 05:32 PM

Are there brushes on the starter? They may not be getting a good contact and when you spin it by hand the contacts seat.

• sabin

Posted February 18, 2003 - 09:47 PM

FLY: Dan, When you measure a battery you have to do it with some load i.e. measure the battery while pressing the start button. Also measure the voltage on the starter to eliminate all switches and stuff. If everything read fine maybe it's what Dale said.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.