weird question

10 replies to this topic
  • FlyingV450

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:05 PM

Ok, so I am asking a noob question. :p I bought an '03 YZ450F recently which I am now the 3rd owner. Apparently the 1st owner had it set up for supermoto. The second owner switched it back for MX. Here is my question, there is an aftermarket piece installed between the carb and the cylinder that has hoses that appear to be from the cooling system. I'm sorry that I am not posting pics right now. I will have some tomorrow and I will post if someone doesn't cant help without them.

What the hell is it?!

One more thing, I guess the bike has a big bore kit in it as well. I talked to the 2nd owner and he seemed to remember that it had a big bore kit installed.

Thanks for any help and please keep the jokes to a minimum

• mc1hd

Posted March 02, 2009 - 01:05 PM

Motard bikes require catch cans for the carb and radiator overflow as well as crank breather. This is to prevent others from crashing when on the track.

• FlyingV450

Posted March 02, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just solved the mystery, it is a pulsator. Better throttle response, I didnt think the 03 had trouble with that...

It hits hard to say the least. Fun to ride!

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just solved the mystery, it is a pulsator. Better throttle response, I didnt think the 03 had trouble with that...

It hits hard to say the least. Fun to ride!

Remove it.

• travisn

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:42 PM

Remove it.

Cmon, I expect more explanation out of you! lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Cmon, I expect more explanation out of you! lol

'You know this story?

Posted Image

• travisn

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:35 PM

Regretfully, I do not. Is that the story of the magic pulsator?

My guess is its something that takes the intake/exhaust pulse to help deliver fuel like on an old snowmobile?

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2009 - 10:10 PM

Regretfully, I do not. Is that the story of the magic pulsator?

Dumbo. You'll have to look it up.

It occurs to me that someone may have put an other-than-original carb on this beast.

• FlyingV450

Posted March 02, 2009 - 10:45 PM

Yikes, I appreciate your candidness Gray. Thanks for the advise, could you elaborate why? I dont have a lot of working knowledge of bikes and I am eager to learn.

By the way, thank you again for the replies

• travisn

Posted March 03, 2009 - 04:23 AM

:p

could you elaborate why?

You'll have to look it up.

I think he may be sick of answering all the ( or just my) noob questions

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:07 AM

Yikes, I appreciate your candidness Gray. Thanks for the advise, could you elaborate why? I dont have a lot of working knowledge of bikes and I am eager to learn.

By the way, thank you again for the replies

It depends on what it really is. As I said, it could be that someone has some sort of oddball aftermarket carb on the bike, and this gizmo you are identifying as a pulsator is a functional component of that. In that case, you should leave it in place unless replacing the carb with an original. If it's just a gadget under the stock carb, then it's useless, and will likely cause problems of its own down the road.

A picture would help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.