Torqueing connecting rod nut

19 replies to this topic
  • foursmoke

Posted February 16, 2003 - 03:54 PM

Can anybody tell me how they torqued the connectig rod nut? I could get a shallow 19mm socket on nut but not extension or universal(swivel) because of the frame.I ended up using a metric cresent wrench for now.

03 WR450- picked up 2/3/03. Not rode yet, cuz it keeps snowing. :)

• blue_beast_wins

Posted February 16, 2003 - 04:50 PM

Con rod nut?? :D :)

• Hick

Posted February 16, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Maybe he means the pull rod on the rear linkage.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted February 16, 2003 - 07:49 PM

Dunno, the only con rod is inside and it dont have a nut so start guessing eh :)

• hoov165x

Posted February 16, 2003 - 08:30 PM

Yup he means the linkage pull rod. It is not possible to get a socket and torque wrench on it. Use a metric box end wrench(do not use a crescent wrench) and crank it 'til your wrist clicks! :)

• foursmoke

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:35 AM

No, I mean connecting rod.Page 5-58 step #10(Tighten:Nut(connecting rod to 58 ft-lb).That nut.You cannot get deep,mid-length or even a shallow socket 3/8 drive w/ext. or swivel because of the mounts for kick stand.Anyway, my wrist clicks long before 58 ft-lbs LOL :).

03WR450F-Picked up 2/3/03

• foursmoke

Posted February 17, 2003 - 02:09 PM

I guess nobody knows, or maybe nobody cares. :(Anyway I'll try the wrist clicking thing.It's all I have for now.

• Hick

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:09 PM

No, I mean connecting rod.

No, you mean pull rod. I don't care what the manual calls it, the connecting rod is in the damn motor, and doesn't have a bolt or thread in it.

And Hoov is right, you can't get a socket on the pull rod unless you remove the shock (even then I'm not sure, I've never tried that...) The first time I had it apart I used a crow's foot and a torque wrench and adjusted for the extra leverage. At best I don't think that is much more accurate than my internal wrist click and you risk rounding the lock nut.

So yes we care, yes we know, but I think there are some communication problems here.

• BEAN329

Posted February 17, 2003 - 06:41 PM

foursmoke, i tighten the nut with a box wrench. BUT you can purchase a tool that is meant just for this purpose. I am not sure what it is called but it looks like a box end wrench with 1/2" or 3/8" hole for torque wrench, the whole thing is only about 4 inches long. Check with Sears, Mac or Snap On should have what you need.

• foursmoke

Posted February 17, 2003 - 07:04 PM

Hey Hick,dont get pissed at me,I didn't print the damn manual,YAMAHA did.I just asked a simple question & supplied page # and step #.I still would like to know how torque the connecting rod nut. Just jokeing (Pull rod nut),the frame is still in the way.

03 WR450F-Picked up 2/3/03.All stock for now

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foursmoke

Posted February 18, 2003 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info BEAN329.I have to go back to Sears to exchage torque wrench.The one I bought said it had a range from 5-150 ft-lbs but it only goes to 80 or 85.I will look while I'm there.Thanx again

03 WR450-Picked up 2/3/03 all stock for now

• Motorod

Posted February 18, 2003 - 06:44 AM

Its called a crows foot wrench.

• BEAN329

Posted February 18, 2003 - 03:54 PM

One last thing, a think using the crowfoot adapter will change the actual torque you will apply to a nut. Like i said I've never used one but I would do a simple test. Start with a nut you can get to with a socket. Next set your torque to 40 lbs, use the crowfoot adapter. then take off the crowfoot adapter and put on a socket, see what the actual torque is. repeat process as needed. Good Luck.

• Motorod

Posted February 18, 2003 - 05:17 PM

Your are correct the crow foot adapter does change the torque read by the torque wrench. They usually have a conversion chart with the addapters, if not you should try to find one, or as you say test it first, by trial and error.

• Hick

Posted February 18, 2003 - 06:22 PM

...or as you say test it first, by trial and error.

Or put your high school trigonometry education to work. Which is why I didn't recommend that method. :)

• foursmoke

Posted February 19, 2003 - 04:35 PM

The Instruction booklet that came with my torque wrench has a formula to use when utilizing such an adapter.when I aquire a crows foot,I will try it both ways.

03 WR450FR-picked up 2/3/03.still 0 miles due to snow
Works connection alum, frame guards,retorqued rotor nut to 47 ft-lbs.

• Motorod

Posted February 19, 2003 - 04:59 PM

That bolt has a Air-plane nut on it. Just us the wrist click and no cheater on the ratchet. It'l be OK. :)

• foursmoke

Posted February 19, 2003 - 07:08 PM

I did wrist click and will leave it that way until next nut & bolt check.Thanks guys for all your input and to everyone but hick who didn't get pissed at me for posting it as connecting rod nut.I was only trying to be specific by quoting what was in the owners manual.1/2 Yamahas fault and 1/2 mine for not realizing that the con. rod was part of the engine.

03 WR450FR-picked up 2/3/03 0 miles due to snow.

• Hick

Posted February 19, 2003 - 09:11 PM

..thanks to everyone but hick who didn't get pissed at me for posting it as connecting rod nut.

Awww, c'mon!!!!

I was just having fun! Everything you needed to know was posted, and your response was: "Hey, don't get pissed at me!!" Just read the advice that was given, it was all there. That's how it works. You post a question, we answer, then you read it and make an effort to comprehend our response.

What is with your attitude fella? We figured out what you were talking about, with no help from you I might add, gave you some very good advice, but you're still not happy?!?!

I don't get that. Call your dealer and ask THEM how to torque the connecting rod nut.

Sheesh! :D :) :D

• blue_beast_wins

Posted February 19, 2003 - 11:48 PM

Cool Hick, who torques there any way, like torquing your wheel nuts on your truck eh??

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.