valve check

3 replies to this topic
  • CheYuen

Posted March 01, 2009 - 03:10 PM

Where exactly am I supposed to be inserting the feeler gauge? I have everything apart and can't discern from the manual exactly where the gap is that I'm checking.

• erickdj

Posted March 01, 2009 - 03:15 PM

Where exactly am I supposed to be inserting the feeler gauge? I have everything apart and can't discern from the manual exactly where the gap is that I'm checking.

the feeler gauge needs to be inserted between the bottom of the cam lobes and the top of the valve buckets(chrome caps). The exhaust cam has 2 lobes, and the intake cam has 3 lobes. The middle lobe on the intake cam can be a bit tricky to get to for some people. Start on the right side of the bike(kickstart side) and look at the cam lobes at the end of the cams, it will give you a good visual of where the gauges go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CheYuen

Posted March 01, 2009 - 05:48 PM

Thanks erickdj. That is one tight fit! How important is it to apply gasket sealer to the valve cover? I can just see it getting all over inside as I try to put the cover back in place.

• erickdj

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks erickdj. That is one tight fit! How important is it to apply gasket sealer to the valve cover? I can just see it getting all over inside as I try to put the cover back in place.

No sealer necessary if the gasket is in good condition. Just make sure the gasket contact surface is clean as well as the head contact surface.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.