Cleaning Gunk Off Bike

8 replies to this topic
  • TIG88

Posted March 01, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hey guys, the title is pretty much self explanatory. The last person that owned my bike wasnt the best at washing this thing down, so things like the sprockets and engine case have dirt that is so caked on it will not come off with a pressure washer. What is the best way to clean this crap off? Thanks alot.

• mc1hd

Posted March 01, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Elbo grease

Posted March 01, 2009 - 02:33 PM

A brush and degreaser.

• MikeyT750

Posted March 01, 2009 - 04:39 PM

You got to be careful with powerful de greasers like grease lightning and such. They will stain and streak the Aluminum and could mess your seals up. I would say use Simple Green with a hard bristle brush and after a few repetitions, the stuff should start to go away. It all depends on how long you want to spend on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wellsy1

Posted March 01, 2009 - 04:57 PM

For real stubborn spots i've used K&N air filter cleaner. It works wonders on my airfilter, and does'nt eat the filter so i dont think it would be too harsh. Some people may think other wise. I dont know.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 01, 2009 - 05:22 PM

I use simple grean and a brush but on tough spots I use maxima chain and filter degreaser. Oring chain safe, so it wont hurt and works great.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:14 PM

i use greese lightning while im out washing the bike.. the water delutes the stuff.. but for extra insurance i lay a rag over anything that a degreeser shouldnt go on...

• 642MX

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:20 PM

Aluminum wheel cleaner works good on the cases. Just don't leave it on the aluminum very long, spray it on, let it soak a minute and rinse.

• Aido_DRZ

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:24 PM

WD40 works good at removing grease! just dont spray it on any of your bearing surfaces.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.