bike needs help where should i bring it?

9 replies to this topic
  • freestyle111

Posted March 27, 2001 - 12:42 AM

can anybody recommend shop in bay area[between san fran. and san jose].i need diagnostic,leakdown test and valves adjusted.i brought bike to dealer last time and i was walking bowlegged for a month they bent me over and took me for ride

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 27, 2001 - 03:13 AM

The best place you can take it is YOUR OWN garage. Many of us have found out our dealers are uninformed and/or incompetent. Use the manual, get up the nerve, and JUST DO IT!

All of us were exactly where you are now, ALL OF US.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• Bill

Posted March 27, 2001 - 03:41 AM

Exactly what Kevin said :)

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted March 27, 2001 - 05:47 AM

Free,
I've had experience with both San Jose & Redwood city Yamaha. Where did you have your wallet stolen? The reason why I ask is my bike may need some MAJOR repair and I would like to learn from your experience.

Mike

• freestyle111

Posted March 27, 2001 - 08:38 AM

redwood city yamaha.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted March 27, 2001 - 11:45 AM

Mike,
I had heard, because of your height problems, you are having your seat height lowered by 8". Is this true?

I would imagine A LOT of frame cutting to get a seat height lower than a Honda XR80... :)

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted March 28, 2001 - 06:09 AM

Kevin,
If memory serves correctly, you are closer to the dwarf club than the gigante' club..... :D . What I'm going to do is take Taffy's sub-frame mod. and take it one step further. I will actually be sitting on the rear shock. The only downsides are possible incontinence and adjusting the compression will be harder........ :) . Honestly, what I've done is cut down my seat considerably. This has helped immensely. I've always been able to touch the ground but NOW when I'm touching the ground my bike is actually standing. My knees don't drag on the ground like Huge or the Meadowman, but at least now I can paddle like the rest of you....... :D

Free,
My experience with RC Yamaha has been mixed so far. They are supposed to have good mechanics but their markup on parts is borderline criminal.

• freestyle111

Posted March 28, 2001 - 11:33 AM

i have know complaints about work they did,but they cost of parts and labor was insane.i just called them and asked what they would charge to adjust valves on my wr400f.mechanic said "depends how many valves i want adjusted".what kind of answer is that?does anybody ever bring bike to shop and ask to have 1 valve adjusted.with there prices thats probably all people can afford.

[This message has been edited by freestyle111 (edited 03-28-2001).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 28, 2001 - 01:37 PM

OK, Mike that knee draggin' comment was below the belt.... Then again all your comments are below the below the belt - just the result of lack o' legs & the resulant height of your mouth :) I noticed the cut seat foam at Midddle Creek - I figured that's why you walk a little bow legged, but now I know its from the work at RC Yamaha.

Freestyle - do the work yourself. Checking/adjusting the valves is pretty easy.

Brian

• freestyle111

Posted March 28, 2001 - 03:48 PM

I think i will do work myself.ive always rebuilt and done all maintance on my 2 strokes,but for some reason this 4 stroke has me intimidated.maybe its because it took me a hour to take out sparkplug the first time.now that i know your supposed to pull plug with bike flipped upside down i should be alright.thanks for advice.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.