Starter Relay Solenoid making clicking noise, maybe shorted out, need help

15 replies to this topic
  • thaislandguy

Posted February 28, 2009 - 11:22 PM

When I hit the starter button on my bike with a battery (assumed to be working) or with a motormaster charger/booster hooked up to bike, all I get is a clicking noise which I know is coming from the starter relay. My bike wont start so maybe could it be that the relay has fried, or that the starter is broken and for whatever reason it is not responding to the relay? or would it be strictly relay oriented?? At first to attempts with the booster hooked up it turned over, then on the third attempt all i got was a buzzz'ing noise, and every attempt after that i just got clicks. I'm starting to consider just getting a kickstart installed on my bike to avoid the electrical mayhem...but elec start is nice :worthy: What is wrong with my system, has anyone else had these troubles? Thanks :lol:

• rpt50

Posted March 01, 2009 - 05:09 AM

dead battery or bad ground.

• chadk66

Posted March 01, 2009 - 05:53 AM

When I hit the starter button on my bike with a battery (assumed to be working) or with a motormaster charger/booster hooked up to bike, all I get is a clicking noise which I know is coming from the starter relay. My bike wont start so maybe could it be that the relay has fried, or that the starter is broken and for whatever reason it is not responding to the relay? or would it be strictly relay oriented?? At first to attempts with the booster hooked up it turned over, then on the third attempt all i got was a buzzz'ing noise, and every attempt after that i just got clicks. I'm starting to consider just getting a kickstart installed on my bike to avoid the electrical mayhem...but elec start is nice :worthy: What is wrong with my system, has anyone else had these troubles? Thanks :lol:

More than likely if the solenoid is energizing, the starter drive/starter burnt up. You'll need a new starter. But as posted above, charge the battery first and make sure the cables that attach to the starter are tight. But I'd lay money on the starter.

• justplayin

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:05 AM

Could be battery, relay, starter, or any connection including eyelet to wire and not just a dirty connection. Heck, is the motor locked up? If you do not know how to do a voltage drop with a multi meter then asking here on TT will only get you someone's best "guess" as to what it is. Parts changing is easy........ but not always inexpensive

Point is, if you get "it's probably this or that" and you change it and it doesn't fix it.....don't get mad at the folks that responded:ride:

• thaislandguy

Posted March 01, 2009 - 10:04 AM

justplayin - I wont be holding anyone responsible but myself :worthy: I just want to avoid taking it into a shop tho, but I really appreciate peoples guesses as to what it is thats what I need :lol: Did you mean to say that the starter motor might be locked up? Cause the motor motor is gud and has compression. I probably could go out and get some sort of volt meter or ohm meter whatever, but at that point I would almost be inclined to just get a kickstart and say screw the electrical system :banghead:

rpt50 - I think the battery is not so much the issue as when I set the booster up to my bike, with a full working 12v battery built into the darn thing I still just got a click.

chadk66 - The cable that goes to the top of the starter is secure looking and doesnt look to be in bad shape, Im pretty sure the relay is making the noise, so Is that just the noise that the relay usually makes when it sends energy to the from the relay to the starter?

• S2P

Posted March 01, 2009 - 10:14 AM

The Battery is dead. A charger won't start it or stop the clicking. You probably have a dead cell in the battery.How old is it? Try swaping the battery or jumping it from another battery. I think you will have found your problem. I have been through this same thing numerous times.

• chadk66

Posted March 01, 2009 - 10:14 AM

justplayin - I wont be holding anyone responsible but myself :worthy: I just want to avoid taking it into a shop tho, but I really appreciate peoples guesses as to what it is thats what I need :lol: Did you mean to say that the starter motor might be locked up? Cause the motor motor is gud and has compression. I probably could go out and get some sort of volt meter or ohm meter whatever, but at that point I would almost be inclined to just get a kickstart and say screw the electrical system :banghead:

rpt50 - I think the battery is not so much the issue as when I set the booster up to my bike, with a full working 12v battery built into the darn thing I still just got a click.

chadk66 - The cable that goes to the top of the starter is secure looking and doesnt look to be in bad shape, Im pretty sure the relay is making the noise, so Is that just the noise that the relay usually makes when it sends energy to the from the relay to the starter?

I'd be willing to bet nearly anything that you have an internal failure in the starter motor. This is an extremely common occurance in all types of starters.

• thaislandguy

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:55 AM

S2P - Yes, the battery is most likley dead, but when I hook a motorcycle jumper right up to my bike (aka no moto battery involved) it still makes the clicking noise, so like the power is there, the relay just doesnt know what to do with it. The battery is probably about a year old, and is in decent condition.

chadk66 - Interesting, would there be any way of checking or testing that? Or should I should just take it to a shop and get them to diagnose it? So your meaning to say that the relay is relaying the power to the starter but the starter just isnt doing anything with it since its "blown"? + Is there always a clicking noise from the relay let say when the bike starts up fine, u just cant hear it cause the motor muffles it out??? When I put my finger on the relay I found out that the wire that goes from the relay to the started shakes/viberates (and clicks) momentarily when I try to start it...

EDIT** The first two times we tried the jumper hooked up right to the bike (aka. no bike batterys to mess with) it worked fine, the engine turned over albeit not starting up, but it turned over twice. Thrid try there was a buzzing noise from the relay area, then forth and all times following that we just got a click.

I have tried boosting my battery numerous times with the charger thingy and i get nothing but clicks still. edit// And when I plug my battery up to my charger I get a 1Amp/0.1 amp reading on the output thingy, what could this mean?? Maybe my batts are fully charged and can take no more? or maybe they are dead and cant take nothing...

• chadk66

Posted March 01, 2009 - 12:29 PM

S2P - Yes, the battery is most likley dead, but when I hook a motorcycle jumper right up to my bike (aka no moto battery involved) it still makes the clicking noise, so like the power is there, the relay just doesnt know what to do with it. The battery is probably about a year old, and is in decent condition.

chadk66 - Interesting, would there be any way of checking or testing that? Or should I should just take it to a shop and get them to diagnose it? So your meaning to say that the relay is relaying the power to the starter but the starter just isnt doing anything with it since its "blown"? + Is there always a clicking noise from the relay let say when the bike starts up fine, u just cant hear it cause the motor muffles it out??? When I put my finger on the relay I found out that the wire that goes from the relay to the started shakes/viberates (and clicks) momentarily when I try to start it...

EDIT** The first two times we tried the jumper hooked up right to the bike (aka. no bike batterys to mess with) it worked fine, the engine turned over albeit not starting up, but it turned over twice. Thrid try there was a buzzing noise from the relay area, then forth and all times following that we just got a click.

I have tried boosting my battery numerous times with the charger thingy and i get nothing but clicks still. edit// And when I plug my battery up to my charger I get a 1Amp/0.1 amp reading on the output thingy, what could this mean?? Maybe my batts are fully charged and can take no more? or maybe they are dead and cant take nothing...

yea, your batteries aren't drawing any amps. You can just take a set of jumper cables and jump from a good battery from another bike or something and hook it up directly to the starter. Just hook the positive to the where the positive hooks on the solenoid and then just hook the ground to the ground cable coming off the side of the starter. That will bypass your battery and all the wiring from your battery to the starter. The solenoid will click, that is normal. All it is in there is an electromagnet that when energized, closes some contacts and relays the power to the starter motor. If the solenoid clicks and the starter motor doesn't spin, there is a problem internally with the starter or the positive lead from the solenoid to the starter isn't making good contact.

• thaislandguy

Posted March 01, 2009 - 12:43 PM

So the positive lead is the wire that runs from the relay to the starter? And then there is a seperate ground wire that runs off the starter motor?? So you think doing this will rule out the Relay issue and focus in on the starter as being the source of the problem??

And im guessing batteries not drawing amps mean that they are dead? or full? or either?

• chadk66

Posted March 01, 2009 - 01:04 PM

So the positive lead is the wire that runs from the relay to the starter? And then there is a seperate ground wire that runs off the starter motor?? So you think doing this will rule out the Relay issue and focus in on the starter as being the source of the problem??

And im guessing batteries not drawing amps mean that they are dead? or full? or either?

generally if the battery is only drawing an amp or so it's fully charged. clamp the jumper cable onto the solenoid, the terminal that your positive battery lead is presently hooked to. then hook the neg. jumper cable lead to the neg cable on the starter case. or just the frame. the solenoid sounds fine.

• thaislandguy

Posted March 01, 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hrm ok ima go try this brb.

• resigningseven

Posted August 03, 2011 - 11:06 PM

I have this same problem! I got my bike started from a roll though and it runs great! Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

• Swede73

Posted August 04, 2011 - 02:07 AM

I have this same problem! I got my bike started from a roll though and it runs great! Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

What happens when you jump start it with jumper cables and the battery in your car?

• resigningseven

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:39 AM

All i get is a ticking noise coming from the starter relay! I cant hear the motor turning over though. The lights work fine tho so I'm guessing it's not the battery. When i bump start it though she runs perfect no problems!

• chadk66

Posted August 05, 2011 - 05:40 AM

All i get is a ticking noise coming from the starter relay! I cant hear the motor turning over though. The lights work fine tho so I'm guessing it's not the battery. When i bump start it though she runs perfect no problems!

you can still have lights with a bad battery. starters require alot of amperage to crank, not so with lights. It could also be a loose connection on the starter or battery not allowing enough amps through it and the lights would still work. Or it can be the starter motor burnt out. the solenoid would click like normal but the starter wouldn't turn.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Crf250r lost compression by Hondalife378

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 KTM 350xc back fires on deceleration by NKYdirty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Did I get cheated? My "brand new" CRF250L came with 60 miles on it? by MichaelH77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Just got my first WR450 - 2005 by graytshirt

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.