adding high comp piston and cam make a huge difference?

3 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted February 28, 2009 - 05:34 PM

I have my bike uncorked and have a full exhaust. I once had a 2002' yamaha 660 raptor atv, where I added a full exhaust, high comp piston and a hotcam... it made a HUGE difference!!!

Just wondering if it would be really worth the money to install a 13.5:1 PISTON and hotcams? I know these engines are really wound up tight from the factpry!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 28, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Birdy426 says that it really makes quite a difference. He also has the big bore 444 but I think he had a high comp before that too. Ask him he'll let you know

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted February 28, 2009 - 08:13 PM

thanks!:lol: although right now, ill just stay stock much $$$

• Birdy426

Posted March 01, 2009 - 01:12 AM

High comp, hot cams and the full exhaust is a great combination. I did run a 13.5:1 with Hot Cams intake and exhaust (and a YZ pipe) on my '01 before I went big bore. You have more of everything all the way across the powerband. You get more on the bottom from the hi-comp piston, then a pretty good hit into the midrange, and the big end of the powerband is soooo much better than stock. The only reason I went big bore was because it was cheaper than having my stock barrel stripped, replated and honed. Of course, now that I've done it, I will never go back, but it certainly wasn't because I needed more power than the 13.5:1 and hot cams could give me.

For what it's worth, I can get away running most pump regular gas without death-rattle as well.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.