Oil in Coolant

4 replies to this topic
  • buzzfin

Posted February 28, 2009 - 03:46 PM

Noticed that my coolant seems to have a black residue in it. Seems to look like (and smell like) oil in the coolant. Would this be caused by a bad head gasket? NOT getting any milky white substance in the oil, which I would think would indicate a bad head gasket.

• TIG88

Posted February 28, 2009 - 04:47 PM

probably a headgasket. I have seen stopleak look kind of similar to oil in the coolant though.

Flush it and ride it easily for 15 mins. If its bad you'll know then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz400fsmasher

Posted March 01, 2009 - 03:59 PM

if it was oil in the coolant it would be white not black.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 01, 2009 - 05:00 PM

If it were oil in your coolant and your oil was black (dirty) I would think it would be black not white.

• buzzfin

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:46 AM

Checked again after a ride yesterday and it's definitely a black residue in the coolant - looks and smells like oil. Also getting a lot of oil blow by out of the breather hose. Thinking it might be time for a top end.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.