chugging a bit too much

10 replies to this topic
  • lukey_muffler

Posted February 28, 2009 - 12:58 AM

I just bought a 99 wr 400 (what a bike!). The bloke who had it before me has done a bit of work on it, and good work too. the only drama i have is (i think) the oversize jet in my carby, through the bush is unbelieveable, goes like a shower of you know what! However on the road at about mid revs runs as rough as guts. Am i on the right track thinking this may be the jet? any reccomendations on the size i should be putting in?:lol:

• Lcpl0331

Posted February 28, 2009 - 06:03 PM

try moving the clip on your needle up one slot first. Sometimes just lowering the needle will work. If it get's better but is not great then you know your on the right track and need a smaller main. Drop a size(i.e. 160 to a 158) and go for a test ride. Don't forget to put the clip back to the slot it was in, you only want to change one thing at a time.

• bluebreadtruck

Posted February 28, 2009 - 08:04 PM

sounds like a typical lean needle. I agree with Lcpl0331....move the clip on the needle down one notch and see if it betters.

FYI my settings with a full exhaust:

170 main, JD blue needle 3rd clip down

• nitronaf

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:07 AM

sounds more like the infamous tps stutter to me

• lukey_muffler

Posted March 02, 2009 - 01:04 AM

tps stutter?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nitronaf

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:09 AM

http://www.thumperta...513#post6599513
:p

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 02, 2009 - 10:37 AM

I was thinking TPS too and I know the WR400 had a TPS on it...

Unplug it and see what happens:ride:

• lukey_muffler

Posted March 05, 2009 - 02:21 AM

Not to appear too much like a dumbass...... What does tps stand for and where is it located??
(by the way, thanks for the help)

• SXP

Posted March 05, 2009 - 12:16 PM

Not to appear too much like a dumbass...... What does tps stand for and where is it located??
(by the way, thanks for the help)

Throttle Position Sensor. It's the piece connected to the only electrical wire coming off the carb. Unplug it to see if your surging stops. DO NOT unbolt the sensor from the carb as re-adjusting it can be a pain in the ass if you decide unplugging didn't alleviate your problem.

• lukey_muffler

Posted March 07, 2009 - 03:17 AM

Thanks heaps, i'll give it a go tomorrow. If this does solve my problem, what should i do as a permanant fix? is this going to do any damage if i leave it off? (assuming this works)
Thanks again, i really appreciate it!

• lukey_muffler

Posted March 08, 2009 - 12:32 PM

You boys are champions, that made so much differance!!! It's running like a dream! If this is such a common problem, why didn't yamaha fix it? And what if i now leave the TPS unplugged? could this cause more dramas?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.