Yamaha to cut motorcycle output

18 replies to this topic
  • canute

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:00 AM

Yamaha Motor has forecast a first net loss in 26 years for 2009
Yamaha Motor, one of the world's largest motorcycle makers, will cut production in Japan by up to 24% this year amid falling global demand.
Production may fall to slightly more than 260,000 units in Japan, a spokeswoman said. Analysts said this would represent a 40-year low.
Yamaha Motor may also reduce output by 30% in the US and 20% in Europe, the spokeswoman said.

Export-oriented Japanese firms have been hit hard by the downturn.

:lol: Official figures showed on Wednesday that Japan's exports plunged 45.7% in January compared with a year ago to hit the lowest figure in 10 years.
The Japanese economy contracted at an annualised rate of 12.7% in the last quarter of 2008, recording its worst performance in almost 35 years, officials said last week.

Net loss
Yamaha Motor had already planned to close some of its plants for 10 days in February and March to reduce output by 13,000 motorcycles.
It also plans to discuss further plant stoppages in the April-to-June period with trade unions.

The company has predicted that 2009 will see its first net loss for 26 years. The loss of 42bn yen ($430m, £303m) would come after a net income of 1.85bn yen last year.
Sales are expected to decline by 22% to 1.25 trillion yen.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/7912231.stm

• Pukeballs

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:15 PM

I would think also that they're cutting production due to the kids bike issue (lead), not being able to sell the smaller bikes in the U.S.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2009 - 01:36 PM

I would think also that they're cutting production due to the kids bike issue (lead), not being able to sell the smaller bikes in the U.S.

Read more:

http://www.thumperta...splay.php?f=404

Product safety nazis run amok. What next? BTW, do you know that California's Air Resources Board has banned plywood? They say it gives off formaldehyde. It's true, of course, but so does every human on the planet who exhales.

Some things just don't need a label:

Posted Image

• erickdj

Posted February 27, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

Priceless!:worthy: :banghead:

I think anyone that takes one of those "internally" has bigger problems at that point.

Sometimes I wonder if any of those people in congress/senate has or has had a life outside of their office, or if they even have an ounce of brain matter in their head.:lol:

• PAdaytonaman

Posted February 27, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Read more:

http://www.thumperta...splay.php?f=404

Product safety nazis run amok. What next? BTW, do you know that California's Air Resources Board has banned plywood? They say it gives off formaldehyde. It's true, of course, but so does every human on the planet who exhales.

Posted Image

amen brother,

just try finding ammo for evil black guns right now. Why do you think people are stocking up?

• husqy360

Posted February 27, 2009 - 03:28 PM

lower prices then, ill buy a new 1.

hope they dont cut on the efi design.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 27, 2009 - 03:52 PM

If they had pulled their heads out and made a 50 state street legal WR (a real WR, not the 250R or X they are currently trying to dump) they would have been keeping pace with KTM and now even Husky outsells them in the offroad market I think....

I know this is the YZ forum but if I had a dollar for every time I read in the WR forum "Why don't they produce a WR we can plate?", I'd be a rich man:banghead:

Yamaha marketing and product development is full of anything but geniuses:bonk:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 27, 2009 - 03:59 PM

If they had it on the market in 09' they probably would not be in this position today or at least not staring at a 22% decline in sales... I would have bought a new 09' WR had it had Fi, instead I just bought a used 07' with less than 10 hours and a license plate on it. BNG and black side engine covers are the only things differentiating 07' and 09' WR's:foul:

At least you guys with YZ's saw some changes in 09'?

• RCannon

Posted February 27, 2009 - 04:07 PM

I dont think you overcome horrible sales by introducing 1 very specific dirt/ street bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted February 27, 2009 - 04:33 PM

I dont think you overcome horrible sales by introducing 1 very specific dirt/ street bike.

Well, it wouldn't make them the greatest motorcycle selling company in history, but the would sure sell A LOT of plated WRF's if they offered them, they would be eating KTM's lunch in their face.

• erickdj

Posted February 27, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Won't be any cheaper, less bikes = equal or higher price. they are just reducing output to match decreasing demand. they are trying to keep themselves from having to virtually give the bikes for free(no profit on the sales). Have you seen the price jump from 08 to 09 models? The price will only go up, not down.

• RCannon

Posted February 27, 2009 - 04:57 PM

Well, it wouldn't make them the greatest motorcycle selling company in history, but the would sure sell A LOT of plated WRF's if they offered them, they would be eating KTM's lunch in their face.

I would love one myself!

I wonder what happens in the future? If folks cannot pay for their homes, credit gets bad. Motorcycles have always been harder to borrow money for anyway. I think now all thats going to sell is the Moto-Bike.http://www.geocities.../amodelbro2.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2009 - 05:03 PM

Well, if the response to lower demand is to raise prices, that will be both stupid and exactly how the government operates.

That's not what's happening at the big 3 car makers or most other businesses. They're dropping prices and offering incentives left and right to encourage buyers, and that's the sensible approach to it.

I don't think Yamaha's drop in sales has as much to do with their marketing as with the overall decline in the economy. 22% is pretty much in line with non-essential, big ticket items overall.

• husqy360

Posted February 27, 2009 - 06:11 PM

some countrys do get street leagel wr. !!

• shrekka

Posted February 28, 2009 - 04:07 PM

we in Australia have street legal WR 250 and 450Fs, which is really good for us, but l dont understand why the USA dont do it????dummies!!!

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2009 - 05:40 PM

l dont understand why the USA

The US EPA and other enviro-nazi agencies like the California Air Resources Board require a ridiculously expensive and complicated testing and certification process to be completed in order to establish compliance with emission control laws. Some manufacturers don't see going through that as being cost effective.

• Stupendous

Posted March 01, 2009 - 08:47 AM

Won't be any cheaper, less bikes = equal or higher price. they are just reducing output to match decreasing demand. they are trying to keep themselves from having to virtually give the bikes for free(no profit on the sales). Have you seen the price jump from 08 to 09 models? The price will only go up, not down.

I've even seen the '09's MSRP go up. When I bought my '09 YFZ450R MSRP was $7999. MSRP is now $8299.

• wellsy1

Posted March 01, 2009 - 10:03 AM

We here on vancouver island B.C. dont have air care. If I equipted my YZ450F with a baja kit and all the proper road safe stuff I could insure it and ride it on the road. Not about to, but there are tons of wr's on the road. Some places in Canada do have air care, but not as harsh as the states.

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 01, 2009 - 07:01 PM

The US EPA and other enviro-nazi agencies like the California Air Resources Board require a ridiculously expensive and complicated testing and certification process to be completed in order to establish compliance with emission control laws. Some manufacturers don't see going through that as being cost effective.

You hit the nail right on the head. It all comes down to EPA. They dont want to mess with that krap!:p

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.