First time firing up

8 replies to this topic
  • gator4life108

Posted February 26, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hey all,
Well my bike is almost put back together.

Before I bought the bike, the bike sat for 6 months without being started.

My question is, is there any kind of chemical i should run through the bike to clean her out when I start her up or just run it normally with fuel.

I have searched numerous threads on additives like seafoam and there are mixed reviews.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

• Swiveler1973

Posted February 26, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Just try starting it up the usual way. If you think the gas might be too old then you can drain it from the tank and put in some fresh.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 26, 2009 - 06:42 PM

Any damage that can be done has been. You can't stabilize the fuel 6 months after it goes bad.

I would drain all fluids and replace them, check the float bowl for fuel varnish residue. If there is any, you might want to take the pilot jet out and clean it.

• gator4life108

Posted February 26, 2009 - 09:30 PM

There was and has been no fuel on or in the bike in the past 6 months.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 26, 2009 - 09:42 PM

Then it should have no issues! Have fun!

• graazzy

Posted February 27, 2009 - 01:22 AM

A problem could arise from there being no fuel to keep the carby wet ie. gaskets and seals .Could leak for a short time but will cease once the gaskets are wet again.

• byggd

Posted February 27, 2009 - 10:41 AM

Seafoam is awesome stuff! Also I would kick it over a dozen or so times while holding the kill switch to get the oil moving.

• gator4life108

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Seafoam is awesome stuff! Also I would kick it over a dozen or so times while holding the kill switch to get the oil moving.

so you do recommend seafoam.......pour down the carb right?

• byggd

Posted February 27, 2009 - 01:12 PM

so you do recommend seafoam.......pour down the carb right?

I've had great results using it. Everything from keeping the jets in my bikes clean to making the lawn mower easier to start. Right down the carb may be a little overkill. I would mix 2 or 3 oz in a gallon of fresh gas and dump it in the tank.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.