How do you like the 01 yz426f???

23 replies to this topic
  • Mtcrsst199

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:00 PM

i love mine. i went from a rm125 to the 426.
Posted Image

• dmnprkr

Posted March 14, 2009 - 11:24 PM

I wouldn't go as far to say that a 450 is a much better bike. Yes, it's newer, a little faster, and more technologically advanced, but as far as being better I would say it's all in the eyes of the holder. Ever since I bought my 02 YZ426F, I've loved it! Yes you have to get used to the little things on this bike, but once all that is taken care of it's one heck of a machine!!! Seems like you've already conquered all the things that irritate people the most about this bike...I was one of them...so you should have no problems out of it. I guess everyone has their own personal prefrence....this is just my .02
Congrats on your new addition!!! :)

Well, I have taken it out a few times and I do like a lot of things about it like the responsiveness and speed, BUT as a trail bike "for me" I'm not sure if it's as versatile as my xr400r. I think a fly wheel weight is a MUST! I'm running 14/52 sprockets and that's not helping enough. The fast trails are a blast and it floats over some of the rough stuff but when it comes to the slow obstacle tight trails it stumbles, dies, just plain don't like slowing down. So I guess I'm glad to have both but if I'm not familiar with the terrain that I'm going to ride I take ol' faithful........ But hey, who knows I may change my ways after a few more trips.

As far as problems though........... I don't really have any so far. Mine starts first time, every time, so far. Of course if I follow the procedure as I was taught from the last owner. I haven't had to use the hot start yet either. I'm sure that's all to come tho huh??? I haven't layed her down yet either, I heard that's........ NO fun!!! They have carb problems? what kind?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GASIT426

Posted March 15, 2009 - 08:02 AM

Well, I have taken it out a few times and I do like a lot of things about it like the responsiveness and speed, BUT as a trail bike "for me" I'm not sure if it's as versatile as my xr400r. I think a fly wheel weight is a MUST! I'm running 14/52 sprockets and that's not helping enough. The fast trails are a blast and it floats over some of the rough stuff but when it comes to the slow obstacle tight trails it stumbles, dies, just plain don't like slowing down. So I guess I'm glad to have both but if I'm not familiar with the terrain that I'm going to ride I take ol' faithful........ But hey, who knows I may change my ways after a few more trips.

As far as problems though........... I don't really have any so far. Mine starts first time, every time, so far. Of course if I follow the procedure as I was taught from the last owner. I haven't had to use the hot start yet either. I'm sure that's all to come tho huh??? I haven't layed her down yet either, I heard that's........ NO fun!!! They have carb problems? what kind?

I'll agree, I took mine out last weekend and put it in some tight trails. She was kicking and screaming at me the entire time wanting to go faster. :banghead: I found myself constantly having to stay on the clutch just to keep it going, but I didn't mind b/c I was having fun. I put it threw the paces and it actually did very well. Any hill I looked at, any creek bed I tried to cross, and every deep mud hole I wanted to go through all you had to do was point it in the direction you wanted to go and "STAB IT AND STEER"! :banghead:
As far as the problems with the carb. mine isn't so bad but it could use the BK MOD which I've read helps get rid of the slight hesitation you can sometimes get if you blip the throttle real fast. I've also read that people have problems with the needles and fuel/air mixture but so far I'm good with mine. Again it all boils back down to what you're looking to get out of the bike, where you live, and what type of riding you do. Read the sticky's that GR has created about the YZ 400/426/450....they've have helped answer a lot of my questions about this bike in the past few weeks. Great info!!! :)

• GASIT426

Posted March 15, 2009 - 08:19 AM

Here is a good look at my bike.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.