26mm socket for primary nut fix

4 replies to this topic
  • CoolHands

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:29 AM

I bought a 26mm (6 sided) socket specifically to hold the stator plate side nut to tighten the primary clutch nut. But, it does not fit!!! :lol: I read the instructions in the FAQ and most people use a 26mm spanner, heated and bent to shape.

But, that doesn't explain why my socket won't work? ??? It simply doesn't fit over. A 27mm socket seems a little loose.

Can anyone explain?

Posted Image

• E.Marquez

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

I bought a 26mm (6 sided) socket specifically to hold the stator plate side nut to tighten the primary clutch nut. But, it does not fit!!! :lol: I read the instructions in the FAQ and most people use a 26mm spanner, heated and bent to shape.

But, that doesn't explain why my socket won't work? ??? It simply doesn't fit over. A 27mm socket seems a little loose.

Can anyone explain?

Posted Image

It is a cast part of the flywheel, not a precision fastener. Your using a 6 sided socket, the wrench we used to make the tool is a 12 point. That is one possibility, another is that the hex cast on your flywheel is not 26mm … So, use what ever fits. SAE, or 27mm, or, grind a bit off the flats of the hex with a carbide bit, or………many possibilities, pick a solution that works for you.

• GuyGraham

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:35 AM

My 26mm deep socket was a tight fit, as Bronco says, its not a proper fastener

Tap it on lighlty with a hammer - its what I had to do

Goes on easy the second time

• CHEFonDRZSM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

It is a cast part of the flywheel, not a precision fastener. Your using a 6 sided socket, the wrench we used to make the tool is a 12 point. That is one possibility, another is that the hex cast on your flywheel is not 26mm … So, use what ever fits. SAE, or 27mm, or, grind a bit off the flats of the hex with a carbide bit, or………many possibilities, pick a solution that works for you.

Good to know, maybe add this as part 2 in the sticky:thumbsup:

• E.Marquez

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

Good to know, maybe add this as part 2 in the sticky:thumbsup:

When I have some time I will. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Buying a new DRZ400S... For suckers? by greg11

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  55 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • 1 review
  • Last review by hondajon80
  • On 15 April 2014
Forums
Photo

Modded DRZ400 vs Modded WR250 by WVRidin

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 DRZ400SM, ride it home from the dealership? by GLKSM62

• Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Sm/S riders, how often do you switch out your dirt and street tires? by carmstro2096

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.