26mm socket for primary nut fix

4 replies to this topic
  • CoolHands

Posted February 26, 2009 - 02:29 AM

I bought a 26mm (6 sided) socket specifically to hold the stator plate side nut to tighten the primary clutch nut. But, it does not fit!!! :lol: I read the instructions in the FAQ and most people use a 26mm spanner, heated and bent to shape.

But, that doesn't explain why my socket won't work? ??? It simply doesn't fit over. A 27mm socket seems a little loose.

Can anyone explain?

Posted Image

• E.Marquez

Posted February 26, 2009 - 02:37 AM

I bought a 26mm (6 sided) socket specifically to hold the stator plate side nut to tighten the primary clutch nut. But, it does not fit!!! :lol: I read the instructions in the FAQ and most people use a 26mm spanner, heated and bent to shape.

But, that doesn't explain why my socket won't work? ??? It simply doesn't fit over. A 27mm socket seems a little loose.

Can anyone explain?

Posted Image

It is a cast part of the flywheel, not a precision fastener. Your using a 6 sided socket, the wrench we used to make the tool is a 12 point. That is one possibility, another is that the hex cast on your flywheel is not 26mm … So, use what ever fits. SAE, or 27mm, or, grind a bit off the flats of the hex with a carbide bit, or………many possibilities, pick a solution that works for you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted February 26, 2009 - 04:35 AM

My 26mm deep socket was a tight fit, as Bronco says, its not a proper fastener

Tap it on lighlty with a hammer - its what I had to do

Goes on easy the second time

• CHEFonDRZSM

Posted February 28, 2009 - 03:12 PM

It is a cast part of the flywheel, not a precision fastener. Your using a 6 sided socket, the wrench we used to make the tool is a 12 point. That is one possibility, another is that the hex cast on your flywheel is not 26mm … So, use what ever fits. SAE, or 27mm, or, grind a bit off the flats of the hex with a carbide bit, or………many possibilities, pick a solution that works for you.

Good to know, maybe add this as part 2 in the sticky:thumbsup:

• E.Marquez

Posted February 28, 2009 - 09:31 PM

Good to know, maybe add this as part 2 in the sticky:thumbsup:

When I have some time I will. Thanks

Related Content

Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  65 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

• Hot  136 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 12 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.