Im a little confused?? WR450 timing

5 replies to this topic
  • VB_Racing

Posted February 15, 2003 - 05:08 PM

I have been looking thru posts on the WR 450, and I am a little confused, Do I have to buy a yz exhaust cam, or can I move the WR cam one tooth like my WR400?? I have read posts that are conflicting, or maybe I am just dumb. Also, does anyone have a pic of where the grey wire is on the WR450?? I can't leave well enough alone, I have no miles on this thing, and am already modifying!! After I open up the airbox, and uncork, I will need to jet to 160 main, and 40 pilot, to be in the ball park, at around sea level , correct?? Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Dave VanBrocklin

• john450f

Posted February 15, 2003 - 05:38 PM

Good question VB! I thought the wr/yz were the same this year in that respect but have also read the posts you're talking about. Does this mean there's even more power avalable from the wr? I don't really want to dig that far into the motor though. Does anybody know the answer to this one?

• Motorod

Posted February 15, 2003 - 05:48 PM

I think you ment a 48 PJ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GPS Dual Sport

Posted February 16, 2003 - 05:23 AM

The grey wire is an easy solution. check the thread below and look for link in to the photo
Grey wire WR450 photo is in here

Changing the WR450 to YZ timing has not been completely cleared up yet. The issue is the autodecomp on the exhaust cam. On the 426 is was just a matter of changing the exhaust cam position by on sprocket tooth and you have YZ timing. With the WR450 cam doing this one tooth trick will also change the timing of the autodecomp. Some folks guess the WR450 won't be able to electric start with the exhaust cam timing changed by one tooth.
Maybe someone should ask how many of the sheared woodruff keys have been on WR450's with YZ timing on the exhaust cams.

• aze

Posted March 10, 2003 - 11:47 AM

Is there already a definitive answer to the question??
Can we do the wr/yz timing change or do we need a new cam??
Who nows more??

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 11, 2003 - 06:24 AM

You need a new YZ 450 exhaust cam and reshim during install beacuse of the auto decompression feature on the 2003 YZ's & WR's.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.