Is my shock alright?

5 replies to this topic
  • Navaho6

Posted February 25, 2009 - 07:00 PM

I bought an '06 WR450 last month. When I pull up on the rear and the shock tops out, it is a hard "clunk". Don't know if this is normal for a Yamaha but none my other bikes have done this.

• TonyR

Posted February 26, 2009 - 01:14 AM

It would be worth checking the bearing at the bottom of the shock first, as the clunking sound may only appear to be comming from inside the shock.
I would also check swingarm and linkage bearings for movement and the top shock bearing although they normally don't wear as fast as the bottom one.
The only clunking sound I have experienced has been a bearing worn.
However it may be due for a shock service anyhow.

• Navaho6

Posted February 26, 2009 - 08:02 AM

The bike only has 900 miles on it. The bearings are tight. There is no movement or loose feeling either. It's when I top out the shock by pulling all the way up, there is rigid hit but no loose parts. I had a KTM previously and it had a top out spring that I am guessing the Yami doesn't have.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TonyR

Posted February 26, 2009 - 01:58 PM

There is no top out spring, and you can hear the shock or linkage top out, but I would describe it more as a muffled noise than clunking. If all linkages are tight then it is probably normal, but you could check by comparing another WR with yours to be sure.

• Navaho6

Posted February 26, 2009 - 03:11 PM

There is no top out spring, and you can hear the shock or linkage top out, but I would describe it more as a muffled noise than clunking. If all linkages are tight then it is probably normal, but you could check by comparing another WR with yours to be sure.

It not so much of a noise, just a feeling of a sudden stop.

• Navaho6

Posted February 26, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Checked out a YZ tonight. It's a normal Yamaha thing. No top out spring is the reason.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.