Stock bar low - diff. bar bend and/or adding underbar Scotts damper cure this?

11 replies to this topic
  • LAndrew

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Have not ridden a 2008 YZ450F but I had read on here that the stock bar height is lower than ideal for taller persons. True??

I am 5'11" and a half and the bike I am looking at has 997 Twinwalls. Will adding an underbar Scotts damper raise it up to a proper amount as suggested by those with experiance with this bike?

This would be my 1st Yamaha and 1st time with a damper and I'd like to do both at once to ease the pain that comes with both costs.

I just looked and it says the Twinwall 997 has a 99mm height and the stock ProTaper is 84mm high? I think the Scotts underbar adds about 25mm??

I know its personal preference but what is the typical amount added for my height to the stock bars by most people here? I ride about 65/35 trails/track.

I may be able to swap the bars at time of purchase to a different bend so pre-purchase info will help grately - thanks

• awesomeyz

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:33 AM

I just ordered a Fassco Flexx bars for mine (08 yz 450) but haven't received them yet so I can't tell you how they work. They are moto double high (118mm I think). Have you tried to add the Scotts to what you have now?

• Wiz636

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:43 AM

I am 6' 3" and run the BRP submount with my Scotts damper in addition to using Windham bend bars and like it quite a bit for offroading as it allows me to stand comfortably for long periods. If I was strictly on a MX track I would go lower.

At one point I had the Pastrana FMX bend bars and they are really high, especially with the submount. I felt like I was on a chopper with ape hangers when in the sitting position and the sweep was a little too much for me.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:47 AM

Have not ridden a 2008 YZ450F but I had read on here that the stock bar height is lower than ideal for taller persons. True??

I am 5'11" and a half and the bike I am looking at has 997 Twinwalls. Will adding an underbar Scotts damper raise it up to a proper amount as suggested by those with experiance with this bike?

The stock bars are both too low, and too far rearward, IMO, and I'm about 2" shorter than you. I use and recommend Windham (RM Mid) bend bars for people your/my size and taller because they rise to 99mm, and also move the hands well forward. This is helpful in moving you forward on the seat, and makes it much easier to relax while standing up. In addition to that, I think that the forward hand position gives you better steering feedback and control.

With that info, were I interested in a SUB mount, I would ask Scotts to build your bar mounts so that the bars are moved forward 15mm from the stock location and then try it with the stock bars.

BTW, I ride with a Scotts damper, will never go back to not having one. :lol:

• LAndrew

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:42 PM

Can you comment on the fender mount with the Scotts Damper?

Do you ever "on the fly" adjust yours? Most say they dont. If not then I dont need it to be easily accessable.

• Wiz636

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:51 PM

Can you comment on the fender mount with the Scotts Damper?

Do you ever "on the fly" adjust yours? Most say they dont. If not then I dont need it to be easily accessable.

I typically change my damper settings only once during a ride/race to dial it in to where I want it. With my submount I can do it on the fly as long as I'm not going too fast but if I had to come to a stop to do it I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could do it at a checkpoint or just make a quick stop in a slow section.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:02 PM

I almost never change mine in spite of the fact that it's right there in front of me.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 25, 2009 - 03:49 PM

[quote name='grayracer513']The stock bars are both too low, and too far rearward, IMO, and I'm about 2" shorter than you. I use and recommend Windham (RM Mid) bend bars for people your/my size and taller because they rise to 99mm, and also move the hands well forward. This is helpful in moving you forward on the seat, and makes it much easier to relax while standing up. In addition to that, I think that the forward hand position gives you better steering feedback and control.

I agree with ya I like my bars barely swept back puts more of your wait over the front end so you can ride that front wheel I am also 5'11"
my sweep is only 36mm however I still like a low bar to keep me in an aggressive position and the height is 85mm. It just comes down to pesonal preference.:lol:

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 25, 2009 - 04:06 PM

im 6'4" and love the pastrana fmx bend

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted February 25, 2009 - 09:27 PM

I am 6'0' and have an 07 with the Scotts under bar mount. I went with the Protaper YZ high bend which is very close to the stock bend in height with slightly less sweep. I also have the Applied 24mm offset clamps. I am comfortable with this set up.

• alstar250

Posted January 02, 2010 - 07:40 AM

To revisit an older post - I am in the market for a Scott's Damper and I like the SUB MOUNT option. I am VERY comfortable with the stock 07 bars rotated forward to the +1 setting. Although if I were t replace them I'd probably go with a Windham bend and see what it's all about :moon:

That being said, what do you guys think about a SUB MOUNT with stock 06 YZ450F bars? I've always read they were too low, but would the height and sweep work with the stabilizer? - Not sure I want to drill holes in the frame for a low mount set up...

Edited by alstar250, January 02, 2010 - 08:10 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2010 - 03:20 PM

That being said, what do you guys think about a SUB MOUNT with stock 06 YZ450F bars? I've always read they were too low, but would the height and sweep work with the stabilizer? - Not sure I want to drill holes in the frame for a low mount set up...

That might work, but I would have to have the bars moved forward 10-15mm (I'd order the mount that way) to be happy with them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.