Mystery of the disappearing O-ring

5 replies to this topic
  • wr400X

Posted February 25, 2009 - 06:42 AM

Posted Image

I am missing the o-ring that goes on the end of the carb side drain screw on my 2000 wr400. Conveniently, the screw and o-ring are conspicuously absent from the parts diagram. See red circle in pic above. That's where the screw with attatched o-ring are supposed to go. I have been to the local bike shop three times now.

I need this o-ring!!!

• William1

Posted February 25, 2009 - 08:14 AM

No oring used. The screw has a slightly conal tip that closes off the passage way from the bowl to the drain line. I have only seen the screw come with the bowl, though some carb parts places may carry them. It is not considered a normal service item.

• vfr661

Posted February 25, 2009 - 03:47 PM

I concur with William. There's no o-ring for that screw. The copper tip should seal and prevent gas leaks. If you are leaking gas it could be your float valve. I took my wr400 carb apart and had the same concern but after many hours of inspecting the carb bowl I realized there's no o-ring seal. My carb was leaking and the float vavle was the culprit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr400X

Posted February 25, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Despite making a fool of myself in my assumption, your replies have helped me realize that must be the problem. Some other o-ring in my recent memory must have got me off track. I will be ordering the needle set asap.

The diagram sure doesn't have the screw in it, so that kind of threw me through a loop as well.

I appreciate your help and hopefully soon I will be tearing it up on my favorite blue machine once again.

• Birdy426

Posted February 25, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Try Sudco for the carb parts. Yamaha wants to sell the whole needle/seat assembly. Sudco will sell just the needle. With the rubber tip on the needle, the seat almost never goes bad. Make sure you order the O-Ring that goes around the needle seat as soon as you take the seat out of the carb, that O-Ring will start to leak, and then even if your float is set right and the needle is good, you will still leak past the O-Ring and overflow the float bowl.

• William1

Posted February 26, 2009 - 03:20 AM

I made additional comments in your other thread ( on this.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.