license plate mounting

27 replies to this topic
  • AZWR426

Posted August 07, 2002 - 05:09 PM

I saw the ufo light for the ktm on baja designs website. UFO also makes one for the wr. Does it happen that the ktm model works best on the wr too?

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: AZWR426 ]

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: AZWR426 ]

• freestyle111

Posted August 08, 2002 - 12:09 AM

aznwr426,the fender and license plate mount on my bike is made by ufo.dennis kirk has it part#61-4662[ufo enduro rearfender w\light reflex blue $43.99]the one for ktm wont fit its way to wide.i tried it.

• AZWR426

Posted August 08, 2002 - 02:06 AM

Thanks freestyle. I appreciate your pics and info. From what I've seen it seems the ufo light you sugggest goes about the best with the yz fender. Mark (BTW - it appears baja designs website has the most comprehensive list of what is available in this category).

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: AZWR426 ]

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: AZWR426 ]

• freestyle111

Posted August 08, 2002 - 04:56 AM

it comes already mounted on yz fender.the problem with wr fender is its not DOT legal since taillight lens doesnt have clear part on bottom to illuminate license plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted August 08, 2002 - 06:38 AM

That KTM ufo underfender model will fit the yz fender. All you have to do is trim the sides off. Its not that hard to do.

They have a universal model also but that one looked nasty. I liked the ktm model because it was fairly small and neat.

I doubt it would work on the wr fender but you said that you are using a yz fender so you should have no problem.

• freestyle111

Posted August 08, 2002 - 08:32 AM

i tried to put ktm taillight on my yz fender,it would of taken a whole lot of trimming.it was about 1 1\2" to wide.if you trim down sides to make it fit it will be awful weak.the sides are what give fender the strenght to carry extrs weight of taillight assembly.why go thru all that work when you can get a fender w/light already assembled ready to go.plus the yamaha taillight is almost same size

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 08, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Mine is still plenty strong. I have 4 bolts holding it on. 2 by the light and 2 near the airbox side of it.

It really wasn't that bad to modify. ive got compliments on the looks of it.

I saw that I can get almost the exact thing with the fender like mentioned above for like $50. But I had already installed mine at that point.

Mine hasnt shown any sign of weekining at all. Works great. Which is more than I can say for the dang tailight bulb. I keep blowin it every couple of rides from the vibrations.

• Tree_Crippler

Posted August 10, 2002 - 08:43 AM

I used the Scotts Performance plate holder and mounted a license plate light from Auto Zone under the fender. The light is in the shape of a 3/4 roll of lifesavers. I know wierd desciption. But it works great. I think its for trucks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.