yz 400 popping on decel

13 replies to this topic
  • ozonefirefighter

Posted February 24, 2009 - 05:50 PM

I just re shimed my valves on my yz400. Now when i ride it it pops on decel. Its not bad it just pops twice on decel sometimes maybe 3times. what is this and should i worry about it. The bike runs great otherwise. also When I re installed my timing chain tensioner I dont have a way of torquing it. I adjusted it to where i thought it was before but im just worried about it jumping or something. Or can it be too tight? thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2009 - 08:19 PM

The cam chain tensioner the bike came with is entirely self adjusting. If you have a manually adjusted one, it's an aftermarket part, and I personally recommend you replace it with one from Yamaha.

As far as the popping goes:

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

• ozonefirefighter

Posted February 25, 2009 - 08:18 AM

Ok thanks. I was just wondering y it started after re shimming. it wasnt before but it sounds like its popping should be normal the way it is

• DRZ04

Posted February 25, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Fairly common if you are jetted slightly lean.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Depends on the individual engine. When the pilot is set up correctly on most YZ250F's, for instance, it will just about never pop off on decel. A YZ450, set up by the same parameters and with a perfect, by the book fuel mixture will crackle a little some of the time. It actually makes a good audible indicator of being set up right.

There again, this assumes there are no air leaks in the exhaust.

• travisn

Posted February 27, 2009 - 06:37 PM

The cam chain tensioner the bike came with is entirely self adjusting. If you have a manually adjusted one, it's an aftermarket part, and I personally recommend you replace it with one from Yamaha.

As far as the popping goes:

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

I think he meant torquing it after installing it, so he is thinking if he didnt tighten it properly it may move, which would effect the tension on the timing...

• ozonefirefighter

Posted February 28, 2009 - 10:28 AM

Exactly what I was asking about the torquing it. And the popping is really bugging me. The bike runs like a scalded cat but the popping on the decel is whats really bugging me. I havnt messed with the exaust so there shouldnt be any leaks but how do I check for them? I cant hear anything. And the bike ran great no popping ever before the valve work so it wouldnt be the jetting would it? I am just really bugged about it :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • travisn

Posted February 28, 2009 - 10:44 AM

My uneducated guess is you shimmed the exhaust valve too much so it doesnt close all the way so you are hearing combustion on decel?

I really dont know but that might happen. lol

• ozonefirefighter

Posted February 28, 2009 - 11:06 AM

Well i am just a beginner with mechanics to but the valves were tight to I had to shim down. The had the stock shims in there and they were like a 169 and a 172. since they were tight I had to get smaller ones and since they only sell them in increments of 5 which made both of the stock closer to 170 i shimmed down to 165. So I do not think that is the problem if i am thinking correctly. thanks for the input though.

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2009 - 02:03 PM

Exactly what I was asking about the torquing it. And the popping is really bugging me. The bike runs like a scalded cat but the popping on the decel is whats really bugging me. I havnt messed with the exaust so there shouldnt be any leaks but how do I check for them? I cant hear anything. And the bike ran great no popping ever before the valve work so it wouldnt be the jetting would it? I am just really bugged about it :lol:

The cause of the popping is as I stated, regardless of the work done.

On the question of the tensioner, does your tensioner have a bolt and a lock nut in the center that you must adjust and lock down? If so, replace it with a new stock one. They are spring loaded and self adjusting, and more dependable.

• Humai

Posted February 28, 2009 - 02:45 PM

And the popping is really bugging me. The bike runs like a scalded cat but the popping on the decel is whats really bugging me.

Like the others have said, it's one or both of:

1) Lean idle mixture
2) Airleak at the exhaust port/header junction

I still have my 98 YZ 400F I bought brand new. When new, it popped/backfired like all buggery on decel so I went a size or two richer on the pilot and readjusted the idle mixture and voila - problem solved.

The early YZ 400s were notoriously lean at low throttle - pilot/idle and needle should all be richened a step or two.

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2009 - 03:01 PM

2) Airleak at the exhaust port/header junction

The leak can and often does occur at the header to mid pipe joint, also.

• ozonefirefighter

Posted February 28, 2009 - 06:36 PM

thanks a bunch. I had found those threads when I did my serch I just didnt know how I would have got an exaust leak when it was running fine before and i havnt touched the exaust or carb

• 400f mech

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:24 PM

hey, i own a 98400f and i had the same problem, asked my mech and he said it was running to lean. check your hotstart to make sure it is closing properly and try jetting it a little richer

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.