Making exhaust quiet

15 replies to this topic
  • travisn

Posted February 24, 2009 - 03:54 PM

I have a power core 4 on my 99 yz400f. Its loud as hell. What can I do to make it quieter?

I would love a stock one, but I doubt anyone will see my for sale/trade thread since they are not included when you hit the new posts button

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:09 PM

Does it need repacking?

• Pilfer8

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:20 PM

I had a Powercore 4 and recently went to a Q4 on my 03 450. I found the power core to be embarassingly loud; even after repacking it. Now I'm trying to figure out all those sounds from my motor I never heard before....... It's probably not as quiet as stock, but well below and acceptable db. I dont notice any difference (loss) in power.

• travisn

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:24 PM

The bike has plenty of power, I am not worried about losing any, maybe I should take the end cap off and take a look.

Is there anything I can do besides repacking that wont create too much back pressure? (I was thinking welding some holes shut, from what I can imagine there are discs with holes in them to allow exhaust to pass by?)

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 24, 2009 - 05:12 PM

FMF Makes quiet inserts for these. $27 on their website. It is supposed to make it legal. Im sure you will notice a tiny power loss, but who can ride their bikes to their max potential besides pros? Worth not getting a sound ticket

• travisn

Posted February 24, 2009 - 05:22 PM

FMF Makes quiet inserts for these. $27 on their website. It is supposed to make it legal. Im sure you will notice a tiny power loss, but who can ride their bikes to their max potential besides pros? Worth not getting a sound ticket

+++rep!

• travisn

Posted February 24, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

picture from ebay, this looks like it can be easily made...

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 24, 2009 - 06:14 PM

Posted Image

picture from ebay, this looks like it can be easily made...

yeah, buy one from a local shop, take measurements and take it back. Then make one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • travisn

Posted February 24, 2009 - 07:22 PM

I couldn't do that, Ill take the exhaust apart and see what I can do. or just spend the 35 bucks...

• Pilfer8

Posted February 24, 2009 - 08:00 PM

tried it. the improvements are marginal at best.

• travisn

Posted February 24, 2009 - 08:25 PM

hmm, thanks... i really need to find a stock one. Do all yz4XXf's fit? 250f's? any 2 smokers?

• travisn

Posted February 25, 2009 - 06:30 PM

Anyone?

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2009 - 07:27 PM

No. The only stock ones that will bolt up dependably are those from a 400/426. The '03-'05 comes close, but not quite. Later ones, not even.

The stock ones aren't that quiet, frankly.

• Brandon Meidam

Posted February 26, 2009 - 10:22 PM

They are always on e-bay for pretty cheap. I think that 1998 - 2002 400/426 are all the same. I had the same problem and went to a stock pipe with the pro moto billet end cap with spark arrester and quiet insert when I need it. Even without the insert it is not too loud and runs way better than with the e-series.

• rufusz

Posted February 27, 2009 - 05:51 AM

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but have some questions on repacking. Last year I've broke my silencer, friend pulled a wheelie, but hes gone all the way to 360 :lol: so the end of the pipe got stuck in the ground and bended it, so I've pulled it apart, straightened it and put back what was left of the packing. Never saw one new but this looked like hell, all black and like rasta hair :worthy:, in big chunks. Should I repack it? Will it be quieter? Does it have any gain/reducement on performance?

thx

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Freshly packed mufflers are quieter and perform better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.