Leaking Seal 08 YZ450F

4 replies to this topic
  • 08YZ450Derek

Posted February 24, 2009 - 03:43 PM

I posted before I had a leaking countershaft seal on my 08 450F. I bought a new seal, collar and installed it. Started the bike all assembled and it started to leak again! It leaks as soon as the oil circulates. I have the seal in correctly, and driven it with a pvc pipe. Everything is right, I made sure twice. I don't know whats causing it to leak! Need some help, I am so frustrated with it right now. I have another new seal, I was thinking of removing the new one I just installed and just do it again! Need some help with this one! Thats how frustrating this is being. Thanks, any feedback will help im sure.

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:00 PM

Besides the normal hazards of dislodging the lip spring, or cutting the lip, four possible errors come to mind:

• Failure to replace an excessively worn seal collar
  • Failure to replace the seal collar/output shaft O-ring, or improperly installing or damaging it
  • Failure to install the seal square with the shaft (tilting the seal)
  • Seating the seal too deeply, allowing oil under seal lip via the collar cut-outs (seal should be about 1.5mm "proud" )

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kerver

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Did you replace the o-ring? Did you pack the inner lip of the seal with white lithium grease?

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:41 PM

I replaced the collar,and the seal with oem yamaha parts, because the previous owner did not have the collar on the shaft.
Grey, the seal did tilt seat going in, maybe that is causing the leakage. Am I supposed to use a grease on the seal going in? I have another seal and Its my first try doing this.Thus, extra parts for my mess ups. Its frustrating to see it leak, I am thinking of doing it again, but I think I need a walkthru if anyone can help. Thanks!

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted February 24, 2009 - 05:52 PM

Besides the normal hazards of dislodging the lip spring, or cutting the lip, four possible errors come to mind:

• Failure to replace an excessively worn seal collar
  • Failure to replace the seal collar/output shaft O-ring, or improperly installing or damaging it
  • Failure to install the seal square with the shaft (tilting the seal)
  • Seating the seal too deeply, allowing oil under seal lip via the collar cut-outs (seal should be about 1.5mm "proud" )

I removed the seal and went for a second try using your advise. Seated the seal square and tapped it in with pvc and a mallet. Tried to keep it proud, very hard to do if you go too far you failed. Started the bike up and viola! Not leaking. Its my first seal, so Im "proud"

:lol: Thanks!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.