Where the hell is the o-ring?!

6 replies to this topic
  • wr400X

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Where is the O-Ring for the carburetor side drain plug on a 2000 wr400? NOT the big one on the bottom. I lost mine and have been to the bike shop 3 times now and have yet to get a suitable o-ring. This one stupid problem is keeping me from going any further. Thanks in advance.

The bolt and O-ring are conspicuously absent from the diagram. Anyone know where to find it? See red circle. It's not part #3

http://www.bikebandi...fm-2000/o/m8112

Posted Image

• SXP

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:46 AM

Where is the O-Ring for the carburetor side drain plug on a 2000 wr400? NOT the big one on the bottom. I lost mine and have been to the bike shop 3 times now and have yet to get a suitable o-ring. This one stupid problem is keeping me from going any further. Thanks in advance.

The bolt and O-ring are conspicuously absent from the diagram. Anyone know where to find it? See red circle. It's not part #3

http://www.bikebandi...fm-2000/o/m8112

Posted Image

There is no O-ring on the drain bolt. It's a tapered bolt that tightens/seals into a similarly tapered recess inside the carb.

• wr400X

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:16 PM

(I don't know why this post took over 24 hours to post while my second o-ring thread was posted immediately...)

I am 99.99% SURE there was an o-ring on the end of the taper where it meets the thread. There used to be one on it, whether it was supposed to be there or not... Now that it's not there, gas freely flows out of that drain.

Either way, does anyone know where that drain screw is?!? I've scoured this diagram.

Regarding a reply in the other thread, it doesn't matter if it's a normal service item. This is the EXACT same parts diagram your dealer has access to. I worked at a Yamaha dealer for 2 years and I never saw a diagram that had a part omitted like this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Usedup

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:26 PM

I being a newbie also feel your pain. I recently bought a WR400 that had sat up for a year or so. Point being; I have completely dismantled the carb 5-6 times in last two weeks to get trash out of jets and other places. I have removed the piece you are talking about each time. There is not an o-ring on this screw. It is an allen head screw and kinda looks like a unique piece of hardware. My best guess yours had been replaced with something else and the only way to seal was an o-ring. But again, thats my thought. Any hardware store or good auto parts place has a wide selection of o-rings. Good luck!

• wr400X

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:00 PM

Interesting point.

I am used to working on older 80's bikes, this thing is waaay more complicated.

Is there any reason for gas to be coming out of the drain? I know it would come out of tubes on the side of the carb if there's problems with the float, but is there any reason like that on this bike for gas to steadily pour out of the drain?

It's been sitting since last summer. I was going to change the oil, but to do so it has to be warm and to get it warm it's gotta run! I've had the carb apart 5 or 6 times now and I've ruined a couple boots kicking the damn thing. Where's the start button? :lol:

• Usedup

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:39 PM

Are you referring to the drain tube on the bottom or the drain screw on the side for gas coming out? If the bottom I also went through that. Best way I figured to address it was to remove the carb, remove the bowl, and hook up to petcock. That way you can actuate the floats and make sure needle valve is not leaking. I almost bet the pilot jet is clogged up too. With gas running out, it's a worse beast to start. Mine has convinced me to never buy a fuel injected vehicle of any kind that has not run for a while. This carb is bad enough.

• William1

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:40 PM

Assuming you have the correct screw in the drain, if it were overtightened or has debris in it, it may not close properly. I have seen situations where the screw was cranked down and the bowl cracked, other times where it was over tightened and the taper in the bowl is damaged thereby no longer sealing.

And you quite sure it is from the drain on the carb and the issue is not one of the float needle valve not closing? The drain hose on a FCR does double duty. The upper four hoses are atmospheric vent lines, no fuel will ever come out of them unless the bike has fallen over though you might get a few drops from fuel vapors condensing. You may remember when you had the bowl off, a long brass tube. This tube bleeds away fuel from the float bowl if it becomes over filled. If a float needle valve (or its' oring) is bad, fuel will flow down the brass tube and exit the bottom drain hose.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.