Buying my 1st 4-stroke Yamaha, hard ridden 08, what to expect for durability??

11 replies to this topic
  • LAndrew

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:10 AM

So I’m may be selling my 05 CRF450 and probably looking at used 08 YZ450F.

The bike is cheaper than all the used weekend warrior bikes if you add in that it has suspension doen and skid and rad guards and an exhaust , tires etc., and looks new.

This bike has been ridden hard by a pro team but has also been maintained. They have torn it down and checked specs and replaced what was out of spec. Race parts were removed and stock parts put back in. It has suspension done, brand new fluids, plastics, drivetrain, new Twinwalls, DRD full system, all bearings greased, new tires etc. Oil was changed at 4 hour intervals. It looks brand new, and they do this every year and sell about 10-15 previous year team bikes and I have not heard bad things from all my searches

It has almost 50hours on it, which I don’t like. They had some with less hours (30) but the price goes up and most are sold now.

Because of the price I can afford to do a crank, piston, cam chain and bearings come this winter.

I myself will probably put 50 hours on it before I get into the motor.

Even if riden hard can I trust it to last another 50??

I know its rare but I don’t want it to grenade and cost me a cylinder, crank and head etc.

How does the tranny and clutch hold up on these bikes??

After this season it will get rebuilt and hopefully be back to like new internal condition.

What should be replaced: Crank, crank bearings seals, timing chain, piston & rings and then inspect the valves, seats and guides?

My 05CRF had to have RHC valves and springs, Barnett basket, piston & rings etc. It runs great but now it has 150+ hours and I’d like to try a new brand.

Any advice?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:21 AM

It's always a lot more difficult and risky to be a seer than a historian, but based on the numbers, your plan should work.

• LAndrew

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:28 AM

How true, if it breaks part of me will say I told you so, and if it survives the season the other part of me will say the same thing.

ps - how is the power delivery and handling of an 08YZ with a DRD when compared to my 05CRF with a 13.5:1 piston with extremely mild port clean up and stock pipe (well 2.5 inches shorter can) and stock suspension??

• rdefonce

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:33 AM

You should replace your camchain unless it's already been done; it's cheap insurance.

• Wiz636

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:30 PM

I have always felt that it makes more sense to buy a buy bike from a maintenance-conscientious racer than from a weekend warrior that never changes the oil or airfilter, let alone keep bearings greased, valved checked, etc.

• JYZ566

Posted February 24, 2009 - 07:22 PM

I have come to find out these late model YZ's are bulletproof. Even in the hands of a hard racer, they rarely push these things by holding them wide open all the time or bouncing off the rev limiter (they are 450's, c'mon). I'd do the cam chain, ride it for 10 hrs, check the valve specs, and then after seeing everything is golden, ride it some more. The cranks rarely go out on these things...ever.

Some common things maybe to think about replacing, the upper triple clamp bearing, fork seals, shock seal, rear brake pads, hot start connector to the carb, and check the kickstarter ball and spring for grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted March 06, 2009 - 10:06 AM

[quote name='JYZ566']I have come to find out these late model YZ's are bulletproof. Even in the hands of a hard racer, they rarely push these things by holding them wide open all the time or bouncing off the rev limiter (they are 450's, c'mon). I'd do the cam chain, ride it for 10 hrs, check the valve specs, and then after seeing everything is golden, ride it some more. The cranks rarely go out on these things...ever.
QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, got a fairly well used '08 450.
I did the cam-chain replacement, and since the cams came off for the camchain swap, checked the valves. Exhaust valves a tad tight so adjusted them. Good to go now!

If you replace the cam chain though , follow this thread from Gray (I had a hard time getting chain on sprockets without this tip):
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=744740

• LAndrew

Posted March 06, 2009 - 10:10 AM

I have pretty much bought it - still need to pick it up and sign for it (3 hours one way, away from me)

All I hear is good things about the reliability and I am excited to get on it, but we have so much snow that I wont be riding on dirt for at least a month !

I would like to get damper for it and trying to find a used one for cheap is tough (means people like and keep them)

• DND

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:53 PM

Sounds like you're looking at the Blackfoot team bikes. They had quite a list of units to blow out. I'd ask a few questions if you haven't already.

Was the bike used as a practice bike, outdoor race only bike, indoor racer, or national series race bike. If I was going your route I'd choose them in the following order - National bike then regular season racer/indoor bike and last a practice bike. I ranked the regular season and indoor bikes the same for the following reason. The outdoor bike may have cushier suspension but the engine will have been run harder. The indoor bike may sport overly stiff suspension but the motor will have been worked far less.

The suspension was obviously revalved and sprung for the rider. Are they going to redo that for your specs? If not, you may not like what you get. For example Colt likes his set up fairly stiff, whereas Blair's bikes are quite plush and great for the everyday rider. Too bad there won't be anymore used Blair bikes.

Blackfoot is one of if not the top Canadian team and they take the sport very seriously. I don't see them selling anything that is a ticking time bomb, but some units will be better than others, just ask appropriate questions. JMHO.

• LAndrew

Posted March 06, 2009 - 03:15 PM

It is an outdoor practice bike. Colton's bike to be exact. I believe the front is a .46 and I forget the rear. I will be probably 190 -200 with gear on and am a mix of beginner to slight intermediate mx and some mountian riding so it should be fine. Much better than my stock 05 CRF450 I am thinking.

With the pipe, suspension, etc it is priced very well.

They have gone through it all, made adjustments with items out of spec and such and they seem great to deal with.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 06, 2009 - 05:23 PM

I have always felt that it makes more sense to buy a buy bike from a maintenance-conscientious racer than from a weekend warrior that never changes the oil or airfilter, let alone keep bearings greased, valved checked, etc.

Agree 100% my was race every weekend and torn down and put back together many times. I myself am a weekend warrior that mainly rides trails and do all the usual maint. and the bike still feels and handles brand new.

• djtroy

Posted March 08, 2009 - 06:01 PM

So I’m may be selling my 05 CRF450 and probably looking at used 08 YZ450F.

The bike is cheaper than all the used weekend warrior bikes if you add in that it has suspension doen and skid and rad guards and an exhaust , tires etc., and looks new.

This bike has been ridden hard by a pro team but has also been maintained. They have torn it down and checked specs and replaced what was out of spec. Race parts were removed and stock parts put back in. It has suspension done, brand new fluids, plastics, drivetrain, new Twinwalls, DRD full system, all bearings greased, new tires etc. Oil was changed at 4 hour intervals. It looks brand new, and they do this every year and sell about 10-15 previous year team bikes and I have not heard bad things from all my searches

It has almost 50hours on it, which I don’t like. They had some with less hours (30) but the price goes up and most are sold now.

Because of the price I can afford to do a crank, piston, cam chain and bearings come this winter.

I myself will probably put 50 hours on it before I get into the motor.

Even if riden hard can I trust it to last another 50??

I know its rare but I don’t want it to grenade and cost me a cylinder, crank and head etc.

How does the tranny and clutch hold up on these bikes??

After this season it will get rebuilt and hopefully be back to like new internal condition.

What should be replaced: Crank, crank bearings seals, timing chain, piston & rings and then inspect the valves, seats and guides?

My 05CRF had to have RHC valves and springs, Barnett basket, piston & rings etc. It runs great but now it has 150+ hours and I’d like to try a new brand.

Any advice?

Mines an 06 I ride it every weekend and good or bad I have never had the motor apart. It has to have at least 2-3 hundred hrs on it.
I change oil and filters every two rides.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.