Coil Question

5 replies to this topic
  • mxrayser

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:55 PM

I got a bike that I'm kicking it, it doesnt even act like it wants to start. Pull the plug and its covered in gas. But, if I put a shot of carb cleaner in the spark plug hole it starts second kick everytime and stays running. Is that a sign of a weak coil? Anybody got any idea what the problem may be?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2009 - 07:27 AM

Carburetor problem, or you are not using a correct starting technique.

• mxrayser

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:11 AM

carb problem, in what regard? I've got it totally clean, idle, air/fuel set per the book as well as more/less. Its getting fuel per the wet plug. It seems like it needs something more combustable (carb cleaner) Am I way off track with a weak coil theroy? ThanX

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2009 - 07:04 AM

If you can get it running by adding fuel (carb spray), then it should be telling you it wants more fuel. In a cold engine, a mixture that is too lean to ignite will still wet the plug. If it's a used plug, it will foul even more easily.

In colder weather, you will need more than the usual amount of raw fuel in the chamber to light it off, which means in addition to the choke, you'll probably have to prime it by twisting the throttle a time or two to actuate the accelerator pump. Also, a good healthy spark plug becomes even more important in cold weather to avoid fouling.

Another possibility is that if it has sat for some time, the gas in the tank mat simply not be any good any more. If it's a month or more old, try some fresh stuff.

• yzinger6

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:38 AM

if you were able to use carb cleaner to get it started, then it isn't your coil. it is a problem with your fueling.

• mxrayser

Posted February 26, 2009 - 01:21 AM

Ok I'll go with the more fuel theroy, I completely cleaned tank and carb and ran fresh fuel and new plug. Bringing it home tomorrow where I have means and can be more detailed in the diagnostics, but dont wanna spend to much time since i'll sell it for $200-$400! Ill keep it posted, ThanX

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.