Rectifier/regulator

6 replies to this topic
  • jmkybf

Posted February 23, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Ok, I have been reading up on regulators/rectifiers, and here's my situation. My voltage regulator went out on my 98 wr 400. I have decided to replace it with a regulator/rectifier because I am in the process of making the bike street legal, and I need DC for the turn signals. I have a regulator/rectifier off of a wr250 that I am trying to wire up. I have both the wiring diagrams from both bikes. The regulator/rectifier has 4 wires-yellow, white, red, and black. The white and yellow go to the stator on the wr250, and the red and black are the DC + and -. As all you guys probably know the wr400 stator is chassis grounded. I ran the yellow wire to the wr400 stator, the white to a chassis ground, and the red and black are my DC ground. I have the regulator/rectifier insulated from the chassis in the air box, and my DC ground is not grounded to the frame, it is grounded to the regulator. I am not getting any voltage out of the DC wires. The bike starts and runs fine though. I connected the regulator/rectifier to the stator via and chassis ground via the stock tail light connectors. The stock voltage regulator is taken off of the bike, so that terminal is empty. I don't think that that should affect the regulator/rectifier though. Anyone have any ideas?

• Birdy426

Posted February 23, 2009 - 06:03 PM

You have to float the ground onthe WR400 lighting coil. Baja Designs has instructions on their web site.

• jmkybf

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:31 PM

I wired it up using their instructions here
http://www.bajadesig...les/BATREG3.pdf
I was under the impression that I did not have to float the ground as long as I have the rectifier insulated from the chassis

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted February 23, 2009 - 09:43 PM

I ran the yellow wire to the wr400 stator, the white to a chassis ground,

You don't have the regulator isolated...

• jmkybf

Posted February 24, 2009 - 06:03 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Baja Desgin's wiring diagram tells me to do? I thought insulating the rectifier causes the DC circuit not to be grounded out on the chassis.

• Birdy426

Posted February 24, 2009 - 11:09 PM

Disclaimer: I'm not a sparky-head electrical engineer, but this is how the whole regulator/rectumfinder deal was 'splained to me: First, the WR250 voltage regulator doesn't make much DC...it creates DC for charging the e-start battery only, not for powering the lights and such. With that said to set your expectations, if you don't hav a battery or capacitor across the wires, or a load on them, you won't get any DC out of the regulator/rectifier. The regulator responds to changes in potential...that is, a demand on the system. It charges your battery when the battery voltage drops below the voltage level output by the stator. If the circuit is not complete with a battery or capacitor, the regulator will not detect a change in potential, and therfore will not "port" any current out. If you want to run without a battery, you will need to use the first method in the B-D instructions, which require that you float the ground.

• jmkybf

Posted February 25, 2009 - 06:03 AM

Ok, that makes sense now. Thanks for your help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.