Wr timing question with pictures!! help?

2 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted February 23, 2009 - 05:09 PM

Due to being a partial road bike, partial trails, i decided I wanted to try the WR cam settings. I had pulled the valve cover when i first got the bike to check the valve lash, and noticed 12 pins between the cam gears so i knew I had yz timing. While the bike is quite fast when you go WOT, I want to try having some low end, after riding my brother's xr 650 I realized how much i DID NOT have! haha

anyhow, Just wanted to check with you guys before i button it up.

Posted Image

Here is where the timing mark was, next to the "H" and with my finger holding in on the timing chain tight, my cam gears were like this: Right side(intake) cam even with the top surface, Left side(exhaust) looks one tooth out.

Posted Image

SO> To convert to WR timing, I just remove the exhaust cam and move it one notch to the left so both OUTER dots are even with the valve cover surface? THANKS!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Your intake cam looks like it is not lined up either. Can you post a pic from the other side showing the lobes. Yes, from yz timing advance it one tooth. Consider the hot cams to get auto decomp.

• Usedup

Posted February 23, 2009 - 08:36 PM

Granted I'm a newbie, but I just went through this. First reply was on the money. You get a much better indication from the lobes. And do the roll back to take the slack out; don't ask.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.