chain and sprocket replacement

4 replies to this topic
  • ryangavin

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:39 PM

My sprokets are worn out. I run a o-ring chain and was wondering if I should replace the chain at the same time as the sprockets. I read something once that indicated that if you run an o ring chain that you don't need to replace the chain every time you change sprokets. is this true ?

• awesomeyz

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:42 PM

yes replace both. If the sprockets are worn out, the chain is worn out too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FoxRacer_357

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Yea I would say do both too, that way they both wear at the same rate.

• b--man426

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:01 PM

I replace all as a set as standard practice-- you can measure the chain to determine if it's worn to far. 10 links no longer than 6" if I remember right - check the manual it should be in there.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:19 PM

I replace all as a set as standard practice-- you can measure the chain to determine if it's worn to far. 10 links no longer than 6" if I remember right - check the manual it should be in there.

You are close. measuring between the inner surface of one roller and the inner facing surface of the tenth one away from that (11 total rollers), a new chain will measure 5.85". A chain worn to measure 6" anywhere along its length is "stretched" 2.5% and should be replaced. Personally, I replace them at 5.95" (+1.7%). A caliper makes an easy measurement by this method.

If the chain is any longer than +2% it will wear your new sprockets in a hurry.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.