very imp question!

11 replies to this topic
  • ak567

Posted February 23, 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hey,

I got a 2008 wr450f with an ASI removal kit, grey wire snipped, no throttle block, pee shooter removed from exhaust, and no air box lid. As far as jetting goes its jetted with what came with ASI kit(WHICH NOONE SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT SIZE JETS THEY ARE!!) I have a FMF mega bomb header and a factory 4.1 muffler to install. My question is do I pose any threat to my motor by just bolting the exhuast on and using the current jetting. On FMF's website they say most of their systems are direct bolt ons with little changes required. I also ride at sea level. Help lol.

• mevans112

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:37 PM

i have the same bike,same mods.install a jd jet kit . the performance gain is worth the trouble of removing the carb.

• tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:17 PM

No worries to your motor. If anything the AIS kit (GYTR) jetting will be to rich.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:27 PM

No worries to your motor. If anything the AIS kit (GYTR) jetting will be to rich.

+1 they set you up pretty rich with that kit... I think it's a 172 main and a 50 pilot?

• tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 05:36 PM

+1 they set you up pretty rich with that kit... I think it's a 172 main and a 50 pilot?

175 main

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 23, 2009 - 06:41 PM

175 main

You're right, I ditched that from the kit right off the bat and started with a 172 before ending up with a 168:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:02 PM

You're right, I ditched that from the kit right off the bat and started with a 172 before ending up with a 168:bonk:

I ended up stepping my way down to a 168 main and 45 pilot.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:07 PM

I ended up stepping my way down to a 168 main and 45 pilot.

I ended up with a 42 pilot, I think our climate and elevation are a lot the same. It seems to start better with the 42 but when I used the fuel screw method for sizing the pilot I could tell no difference between the 45 or 42.

Oh well off topic, I don't think the OP should have any concerns about being to lean.

• ak567

Posted February 23, 2009 - 08:00 PM

i find the bike runs perfect now. So by stepping down to a 172 main with the full exhaust I should see a vast improvement?

• tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:14 PM

Good chance you will have to go leaner than that. My 168 main, 45 pilot is with a 08 YZ exhaust and header.
The pilot and main are easy to change without removing the carb so just play with it untill you find what works best :lol:

• jams229

Posted February 24, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Good chance you will have to go leaner than that. My 168 main, 45 pilot is with a 08 YZ exhaust and header.
The pilot and main are easy to change without removing the carb so just play with it untill you find what works best :lol:

Sez who?? I agree with the main, but I have a terrible time with the pilot!
I can only turn the carb so much! :worthy: Any secrets you might share would be appreciated!

• tribalbc

Posted February 24, 2009 - 08:13 AM

[/I]

Sez who?? I agree with the main, but I have a terrible time with the pilot!
I can only turn the carb so much! :worthy: Any secrets you might share would be appreciated!

I use a short screwdriver with a mirror below to see what you're doing :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.