how hot is to hot?

14 replies to this topic
  • kingquad450

Posted February 23, 2009 - 01:56 PM

With all this talk about over heating how hot is to hot for the bikes? When should I start getting worried, I just installed a Trail Tech Vapor on my wr426 so I can tell the temp but not sure on what is to hot? Thanks In advance

• kingquad450

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:18 PM

anybody?

• roushxteam199

Posted March 22, 2009 - 05:29 PM

on my 450 i dont like 200deg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:02 PM

If you bike is box-stock, it comes excessively lean from the factory. This makes the bike run hot. Re-jetting cures all but most difficult overheating issues.

• kingquad450

Posted March 23, 2009 - 02:38 AM

I got it used, but it has been modded before I got it. It running plenty rich right now. Thanks for the input guys.:thumbsup:

• flyer05

Posted March 23, 2009 - 11:36 AM

I got my vapor set to 210

• geoffro

Posted March 25, 2009 - 10:36 PM

If you been riding four strokes a while you will get used to the feel of more heat from the engine through your mx pants.(not like 2 stroke).
That said if you do alot of technical sections one day and its very hot out you will even feel it get hotter through your pants. Sometimes even experience a bit of "burning smell".To me that was my warning,switch off to cool down or get out of the riverbed/rocky section for more airflow!!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • graazzy

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:05 AM

If it's smokin' , it's too hot!

• rufusz

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:00 AM

When the water shoots out, than it's time to speed up or to kill it

• face_plant

Posted March 26, 2009 - 10:34 AM

i have had her up to 250, last overheat my sensor was not working
115-130 was average with engine ice and on the street

• coyo

Posted June 28, 2009 - 10:11 PM

When the water shoots out, than it's time to speed up or to kill it

Stupid question, I'm sure, but where does it shoot from when it's too hot?

• harvmushman

Posted June 29, 2009 - 06:05 AM

Stupid question, I'm sure, but where does it shoot from when it's too hot?

Coolant first goes into the coolant recovery bottle. Good idea to locate this item. If it overheats so much that the bottle is filled, a hose runs from here down to the ground behind the carb with the carb vent lines.

• MotoGoalie

Posted June 29, 2009 - 02:53 PM

If you search Hardrock RMEC race, colorado 2009. a trials like rock section had all kinds of slipping of clutch and cussing of traction/gravity etc.

i had my 06 WR boiling gas and the tank swelled up as i had a one way vent on the tank.

i took that off and put on a regular uncorked vent hose.

the tank swelled up so much it popped off its grommets. its an IMS oversize tank btw

• coyo

Posted June 30, 2009 - 02:35 AM

Coolant first goes into the coolant recovery bottle. Good idea to locate this item. If it overheats so much that the bottle is filled, a hose runs from here down to the ground behind the carb with the carb vent lines.

And this is the question then; the previous owner has done a bunch of weird stuff to this thing, the overflow bottle on mine has the line leading in, but no other leading out...

• DS-WR450F

Posted July 01, 2009 - 09:03 PM

I set the early warning light at 200, and the red warning at 225. Mine usually pukes some coolant around 230. I like having the Vapor, because when the yellow light comes on at 200, I can usually get some airflow, and get it cooled down before it overheats.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.