wr450 wont start now... ***???

8 replies to this topic
  • dirtbagcfh

Posted February 22, 2009 - 09:01 PM

03 WR450... Went riding today... everything was running great until we stopped a few times. I kick started everytime vs. using the magic button. But after the 3rd stop my bike wouldn't start. Plenty of fuel. Just changed the oil last ride (But checked anyways). Bike has plenty of compression, just wouldn't kick over. Also when we removed the oil fill plug smoke came out. Not like billowing out, almost like cigarette smoke or steam... Had to push start the bike to get home. The bike was tapping (probably the valves) when i first left the house but i figured id get another ride or two before getting it checked. Any ideas????

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 22, 2009 - 09:27 PM

03 WR450... Went riding today... everything was running great until we stopped a few times. I kick started everytime vs. using the magic button. But after the 3rd stop my bike wouldn't start. Plenty of fuel. Just changed the oil last ride (But checked anyways). Bike has plenty of compression, just wouldn't kick over. Also when we removed the oil fill plug smoke came out. Not like billowing out, almost like cigarette smoke or steam... Had to push start the bike to get home. The bike was tapping (probably the valves) when i first left the house but i figured id get another ride or two before getting it checked. Any ideas????

I think you described the problem: your valves are out of adjustment. If you can hear the valves tapping, that is not a good thing. You may have oil starvation to the top end too. Time to open her up.

The smoke is normal from a hot engine. Your's might be too hot. Have you ever re-jetted it from stock??

It's not a good idea to ignore obvious symptoms of trouble in a motor. It will always lead to considerably more expense.

• dirtbagcfh

Posted February 22, 2009 - 10:36 PM

would the valves being out of whack cause it to not kick start??? we had to bump start it... or do you think i have more problems than just the valves?

• William1

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:29 AM

Sounds more like a auto decompressor problem. Easy enough to check once the valve cover is off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kingquad450

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:43 AM

would the valves being out of whack cause it to not kick start??? we had to bump start it... or do you think i have more problems than just the valves?

Motor is turning faster when you bump it rather than kick it

• dirtbagcfh

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:06 AM

so should i ignore the possibility of electrical issues???

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:08 AM

Sounds more like a auto decompressor problem. Easy enough to check once the valve cover is off.

I agree.

When the engine stalls sometimes it is impossible to kickstart/e-start unless you rock the bike back and forth in gear a few times. I remember when it first happened I had every ounce of my fat ass on that kickstarter and the engine still wouldn't turn over. Its actually rather common especially over on the YZ side with guys stalling mid corner on the track.

What this bike needed was a manual decomp lever just incase.

• Frostbite

Posted February 25, 2009 - 03:38 AM

Check the spark plug. A couple of times I've had the same problem, and thought of everything that could possibly have gone wrong, but it was as simple as replacing the plug.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:00 AM

I'm assuming that your motor is turning over, it's just not firing.

You're bike needs 4 things to start.

1) spark. Pull the plug, and kick the bike over. Make sure the plub is sparking.

2) Fuel. Make sure there is fuel in your float bowl.

3) Air. Clean the air filter.

4) Compression. Are the valves too tight and staying open, check the specs. Are the rings worn? If the valve specs are good, do a compression test. If it's less then 100 psi, then it might be time to replace the piston and rings.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.