2004 wr450 jetting help

2 replies to this topic
  • jayh300

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:55 PM

hey guys... i have sifted thru all the jetting database and need a little insight.

First off.. my riding partner just bought an 04 wr450. The bike orignally came from cali, we bought in in colorado and was told it had been rejetted there.
We rode it last weekend in CO at 9 am 28 degrees and it ran ok..

We brought it home and got some stuff for it and pulled the carb to see what jets/needle it had.....
dwr needle... stock
45 pilot... stock
and it had no main jet in it ......

We are in amarillo tx... 3900' and temps are right now 60 ish. Fuel screw, stock, is a 1 3/4 out. We put a 165 main in it stock...

the bike starts great, idles great, pulls like a truck til half throttle and then it kinda spits and sputters. I have tried most clip positions on the needle and it runs best at the richest position. I have read that needle is pretty lean.

It has almost no decel pop, but really can't get it above half throttle.

any thoughts ??

thanks in advance
jay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 22, 2009 - 09:31 PM

Well, you must have an extremely dirty carb for it to run with no main jet. I would say that you have a very dirty carb, or a damaged carb. Time to remove it and inspect it closely. If you cannot get it to run past half throttle you have either a very clogged air cleaner or exhaust, or a very blocked main jet passage.

Pilot jet: idle to partial throttle
Slide: partial throttle and up slightly
Needle: the transitional portion from idle to partial
Main jet: half throttle to WOT

• DrzDasher

Posted February 22, 2009 - 09:34 PM

try one smaller on the main, make sure the bike is warm to test all settings, maybe post in jetting forums to.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.