little smoke on start up

5 replies to this topic
  • StapleJ

Posted August 05, 2002 - 02:19 AM

Gentlemen,

after about 3300 of fun filled trail miles (with no reliability issues what so ever) my 2000 wr is smoking a little at start up. I can only assume this is due to the valve seats being worn.

Anyone else experienced this. Can I get a few more rides out of it before I take down for maintenance??

Thanks

John

• lewichris

Posted August 05, 2002 - 04:38 AM

go get some Yamalube "ring-free" it will help get carbon buildup off the oil ring and other areas. I use it in my wifes xr 200 and it really did make a huge difference. But my bike does the same thing. But only while the choke is on. Then it goes away. Good luck

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 05, 2002 - 04:44 AM

Two schools of thought for me.....

1: Compression check
2: 3k miles Hummm Valves leaking

I am not sure as far as how hard you have ridden, but I would say its time for a refreash and tear down, 3k is alot of miles
thats just my $4.26 worth

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stanley

Posted August 05, 2002 - 06:06 AM

If it is still running fine try the Ring free. What can it hurt.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 05, 2002 - 08:39 AM

3000 Miles on a 4 Stroke isn't really alot of miles. I know folks that have 8-9K on their Street Legal WR's. I saw one refreshed at 5K and it really didn't need it then, everything inside was nice and shiney...

The Ring Free couldn't hurt.

Bonzai :)

• sabin

Posted August 05, 2002 - 10:36 AM

Does anyone have any idea how many miles the rings or valve seals can hold, before needing change? Do you need to change the piston also? What is the usual scenario?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.