2009 Wr450f

30 replies to this topic
  • n19dg2

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:22 AM

Hello, I am a die hard Honda fan but I must say that I am really interested in the Yamaha WR450F. I have done a lot of research on this is over the internet and the bike gets very good reviews. I do only trail riding so this bike seems perfect for this type of riding (I am 43 years old). How do you guys feel about this bike and is there any known issues I should be concerned about. I am looking at one in Ohio (I live in NJ) due to the fact that they have a brand new 2009 listed for $6179 plus $112 for doc fee and title. This is $1300 less then MSR ($7499). Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• erickdj

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hello, I am a die hard Honda fan but I must say that I am really interested in the Yamaha WR450F. I have done a lot of research on this is over the internet and the bike gets very good reviews. I do only trail riding so this bike seems perfect for this type of riding (I am 43 years old). How do you guys feel about this bike and is there any known issues I should be concerned about. I am looking at one in Ohio (I live in NJ) due to the fact that they have a brand new 2009 listed for $6179 plus $112 for doc fee and title. This is $1300 less then MSR ($7499). Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

wrong forum, but anyway, if they have it for that amount "out the door" then it's a good deal, as long as they don't surprise you with last minute sales tax. I have a 2007 wr450f(pretty much the same as an 09), awesome bike for sure, highly recommended. It's a bulletproof bike if maintained well, no known "issues" at all, which can't be said about the competing brands.

• mtndirtrider

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hey man.
If that is the true price out the door ...wow..and for sure no hidden costs..!
I had a 03 wr450 never had to adjust valves. just change the oil and clean the air filter regularly and no problems ever.
My brother has a 05 wr450 same thing no problems.. Good choice man go wr it is worth it !!!

• n19dg2

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:24 PM

I confirmed the price and there are no hidden costs - $6,299 out the door with an Ohio title. I gave them a $200 deposit over the phone and will pick the bike up this Saturday. You guys have a lot of very helpful information which has persuaded me to convert from a Honda to a Yamaha. Once I get the bike home I will complete the free mods. Thanks for your help.

• chipwich

Posted February 24, 2009 - 06:09 AM

Man, that's a great price! Congrats. I just paid $6473 for a new '08 (with free install of the GYTR AIS kit), but your deal is a bit better. IMHO, buy the GYTR AIS kit and have the dealer do the install, which includes carb jets. Then do the free mods yourself, and you will have years of incredible riding.

ENJOY!

• Zadok

Posted February 24, 2009 - 06:14 AM

Recently, about a month ago, I purchased a new 2009 WR450F.
LOVE IT. This bike is awesome. Im 35, ride mostly single track
trails, and "some" light mx tracks. The bike is an absolute blast
to ride. Much more fun than my last 250. Just make sure and
do the free mods (I did NOT do the grey wire), just opened
the intake and exhaust, removed the AIS, and rejetted with
the GYTR kit.

Im going to have this bike a long, long time. Long enough that
my next two items are suspension and recluse clutch. Should
be great for the trails.

• jams229

Posted February 24, 2009 - 06:39 AM

Man, that's a great price! Congrats. I just paid $6473 for a new '08 (with free install of the GYTR AIS kit), but your deal is a bit better. IMHO, buy the GYTR AIS kit and have the dealer do the install, which includes carb jets. Then do the free mods yourself, and you will have years of incredible riding.

ENJOY!

I agree with chipwich - have them do the GYT-R AIS Kit at the dealer.
The carb on this bike is very difficult to get to. (I know, it's important to learn about your bike... but really, unless you have the time and know-how to remove the carb, it is easier to have them do it before you pick it up.)

• soccermike7

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:15 PM

I'm from Ohio and looking for a new bike later this spring. Which dealership did you find this?

• n19dg2

Posted February 27, 2009 - 09:57 AM

The dealership is called Xtreme Motorcycles of Cambrige. I confirmed all of the info today and will pick up the bike tomorrow morning. They have another 2009 WR450F listed on e-bay right now for the same price.

• erickdj

Posted February 27, 2009 - 10:03 AM

(I did NOT do the grey wire), just opened
the intake and exhaust, removed the AIS, and rejetted with
the GYTR kit.

Im going to have this bike a long, long time. Long enough that
my next two items are suspension and recluse clutch. Should
be great for the trails.

You'll be doing the grey wire before long, don't worry about that.:lol:

Good call on the suspension and clutch. I see that you do some tracks, I strongly suggest looking into the yz suspension swap. I just did it to my bike and I'm extremely happy with it, not harsh at all, works perfect on the trails, specially where things get rough and nasty.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n19dg2

Posted February 28, 2009 - 06:53 PM

OK, picked up the bike today from Ohio (worked a helmet and goggles into the deal as well, thanks Soccermike 7). I noticed the head pipe turned red after about 2-3 minutes of running. I did a search on this site and it seems to happen a lot. I also read that quite a few folks feel it is a jetting issue. I am looking to do some of the mods through out this site (throttle barely moves) and so on but, do all of these mods you guys speak about refer to a 2009 too? Lastly, I want to put a pipe on this bike but I do not want to make enemies or attract unwanted attention, which is the pipe of choice? Thanks for any feedback on my questions.

• erickdj

Posted February 28, 2009 - 08:24 PM

OK, picked up the bike today from Ohio (worked a helmet and goggles into the deal as well, thanks Soccermike 7). I noticed the head pipe turned red after about 2-3 minutes of running. I did a search on this site and it seems to happen a lot. I also read that quite a few folks feel it is a jetting issue. I am looking to do some of the mods through out this site (throttle barely moves) and so on but, do all of these mods you guys speak about refer to a 2009 too? Lastly, I want to put a pipe on this bike but I do not want to make enemies or attract unwanted attention, which is the pipe of choice? Thanks for any feedback on my questions.

The glowing pipe is normal, these bikes are not supposed to idle for 2 or 3 minutes like you mentioned. If you're stopping for that long to take a break or wait for other riders just turn the bike off. The free mods do apply to the 2009 model, 07-09 bikes are pretty much the same bike with different graphics and different colored engine covers. Pretty much any pipe will be better than stock, every person will have a personal preference for pipes. The Dr.D full exhaust is a good choice, good price and great performance, it takes a quiet core insert if you want to be extra quiet, I use mine without it(don't tell anyone).

• acarter92

Posted March 01, 2009 - 04:40 AM

These bikes are jetted lean from the factory, and when you do the free mods it makes it worse. So I would definately plan on rejetting the bike. I personally don't think that the header should glow, it's an ongoing argument, but I feel that a properly jetted bike will not glow.

Austin

• chevytrkn1

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:30 AM

I was also a Honda fan for Life. Bought the 07 wr 450 and after some mods and tweaking could not imagine a better setup bike for me. You have a blast on yours

• Zadok

Posted March 01, 2009 - 07:28 AM

You'll be doing the grey wire before long, don't worry about that.:lol:

Good call on the suspension and clutch. I see that you do some tracks, I strongly suggest looking into the yz suspension swap. I just did it to my bike and I'm extremely happy with it, not harsh at all, works perfect on the trails, specially where things get rough and nasty.

Is there that big of a difference after having suspension work done though?

I guess what Im asking is, if Im going to have the suspension reworked, do I
need to spend the money on the YZ suspension THEN pay to get it reworked
also? Or did you just buy the YZ suspension and put it on in stock form?

• Zadok

Posted March 01, 2009 - 07:32 AM

These bikes are jetted lean from the factory, and when you do the free mods it makes it worse. So I would definately plan on rejetting the bike. I personally don't think that the header should glow, it's an ongoing argument, but I feel that a properly jetted bike will not glow.

Austin

You say this issue with the header glowing is an arguement, but you "feel"
that by properly jetting is will NOT glow.
So have you jetted your bike, and does the header glow? Im interested
to know this is more than a feeling, but rather from experience. If
you have accomplished this, than I have some more work to do.:lol:

• erickdj

Posted March 01, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Is there that big of a difference after having suspension work done though?

I guess what Im asking is, if Im going to have the suspension reworked, do I
need to spend the money on the YZ suspension THEN pay to get it reworked
also? Or did you just buy the YZ suspension and put it on in stock form?

The suspension question is a tricky one, and has some variables, I'll explain. Fact: The yz suspension is simply superior in every aspect to the wr suspension right out of the crate. The yz suspension I believe is set-up for a 170lb rider for motocross use. The wr suspension is set-up for around the same weight rider, but for light mellow trail usage. The moment one tries to go fast, specially in the rough stuff off road on the stock wr suspension, it really shows its deficiencies. You'll be bottoming out the suspension and being thrown in every direction like a pogo stick. I'd say that for a 200lbs rider or lighter, the stock yz setup will work perfectly in 70%/30% off-road/track use. The further away you get from 200lbs the greater the need to do something to the suspension. But being that the yz suspension is soo good out of the box, a 200+lbs rider could easily get away with just a change of springs, which would be relatively cheap and could be done at home.

In my case, I weigh just a bit over or right at 200lbs with gear/backpack on. The suspension I bought is pretty much stock, and it works wonderfully! Initially I was noticing a bit of odd behavior from the shock, but it turns out the clickers were just out of whack when I received it, I got a hold of a manual to get the stock settings and the problem was solved. It doesn't feel too stiff or rough, but it absorbs every jump and obstacle with shinig colors and doesn't get unstable at speed. One of the awesome things about the yz forks is that they are "speed sensitive", so they adjust to the speed of the impact from obstacles and react accordingly. I've also noticed that since adding the new suspension, the bike handles and corners better, much better than before. So, to summarize what I've just said above, I'm sure the stock yz suspension will challenge any "reworked" wr suspension if the rider is at 200lbs or lighter. And even slightly above 200lbs it can be great with just a change of springs.

Have you read my thread here?: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=746506
it explains the changes I've done to my wr lately, including suspension.

• erickdj

Posted March 01, 2009 - 08:37 AM

This has been debated to death already. The pipe will glow if you leave it idling for long enough, nothing wrong with it. Now, if the pipe glows within 15 seconds of starting a cold bike, then you have a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Just remember, these bikes were made to haul @$$, not sit there idling endlessly.

• acarter92

Posted March 01, 2009 - 08:39 AM

I have a 99 (bought it last year) and the header never glowed. So it wasn't an issue. I know somebody who got a yzf426 last year and the header glowed. He rejetted it and it hasn't glowed since. I'm not sure what jets were in or what he put in, but I know that he made it richer. Some people will say it's normal, and for all I know it may be. It is just my opinion that it's in the jetting and untill someone can prove it either way, it will be an ongoing discussion.

Austin

• kpie

Posted March 01, 2009 - 08:46 AM

I'm 44 yrs old and just purchased new '08 model last Sept. I do the same type of riding and it is the best bike I have ever owned.

P.S. I put the Acerbis 3.3L tank on the bike for extended range....the tank fits perfect and Acerbis build quality is excellent!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.