2000 426 gears

5 replies to this topic
  • LEMMON1

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:43 PM

does anyone know if a 03 450s tranny guts will fit into a 426?

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:06 PM

Won't fit.

You might be able to make it fit, since the opposite swap has been done. It was not a bolt-in by any means, and required quite a bit of custom fitting and machine work.

• pscook

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:22 AM

does anyone know if a 03 450s tranny guts will fit into a 426?

I know that the gears from a WR426 will fit, as long as you get them all in pairs. The only tricky one would be first gear as that requires replacing one of the shafts, but everything else is a direct swap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LEMMON1

Posted February 22, 2009 - 09:09 PM

im just concerned with 4tha nnd 5th to be honest...that and maybe like the shift drums(?) or forks(?) just was lookin at ebay and saw parts to a 450 and wondered if i coulda used those parts for whenever i break into my motor

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Bear in mind that the '03-'05 YZ450 models were 4 speeds in the first place.

The '06+ 5 speed is 12mm wider and will not fit.

• pscook

Posted February 24, 2009 - 10:48 AM

im just concerned with 4tha nnd 5th to be honest...that and maybe like the shift drums(?) or forks(?) just was lookin at ebay and saw parts to a 450 and wondered if i coulda used those parts for whenever i break into my motor

If you need to replace 4th then you probably need to replace third gear as well, as 3rd and 4th mesh on the driven side and replacing one may not cure your problem. When I had my 426 trans on the bench I noticed that if one was worn there were corresponding marks on the mating gear, and the shift fork had marks on it as well. These gears aren't that expensive, you could replace all of the offending parts for less than $500, IIRC, including forks. This also gives you a chance to modify your ratios to better suit your riding style. As long as you buy gears in sets, you can easily swap between WR and YZ gears from 2nd through 5th, but as I said before replacing 1st gear requires replacing one of the shafts which will get a bit spendy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.