09 450 wrf

12 replies to this topic
  • toolsplus

Posted February 21, 2009 - 02:28 PM

does the 09 model still eat swing-arms?
if yes is anyone making a guide to solve it?
cheers, tools

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:37 PM

does the 09 model still eat swing-arms?
if yes is anyone making a guide to solve it?
cheers, tools

I've never heard of that problem. The guide and swingarm on my '08 WR450F are still fine after 12 months. I keep my chain adjusted correctly and cleaned/lubricated thoroughly.

The chains slap against the inside of the frame and wear chunks out of it and even scratches the inside of the subframe, but that's the only chain issue I'm aware of.

Greg

• toolsplus

Posted February 22, 2009 - 12:41 AM

sorry greg, i didn't realise they ate the frame etc. is anyone making a slider to contain the chains appetite?

• chipwich

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:28 AM

You can unscrew the top side of the chain guide, clean that area on the swingarm with brake cleaner, put a bead of silicone there, and then bolt it down after letting it setup a little. Will cure most of the chain slap.

• dustdogg

Posted February 22, 2009 - 09:42 AM

You can unscrew the top side of the chain guide, clean that area on the swingarm with brake cleaner, put a bead of silicone there, and then bolt it down after letting it setup a little. Will cure most of the chain slap.

I did this to my 02' and it has been fine until the guide finally wore out. I recently installed the T.M. Designs swing arm chain slider and the chain guide. The new swing arm slider fits a little differentlt than the stock one and even comes with a piece of material to dampen the noise. So far so good. I would recommend the silicon method until the stocker wears out then upgrading like I did.

• toolsplus

Posted February 22, 2009 - 01:37 PM

I've never heard of that problem. The guide and swingarm on my '08 WR450F are still fine after 12 months. I keep my chain adjusted correctly and cleaned/lubricated thoroughly.

The chains slap against the inside of the frame and wear chunks out of it and even scratches the inside of the subframe, but that's the only chain issue I'm aware of.

Greg

is anyone making a chain guide which stops the chain eating the frame or swingarm or anything.
i dont fancy buying a bike with this problem.
if there's a solution,i'll forgive yamaha this time and buy one!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • acarter92

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:44 PM

Someone on this forum is making a special slider that has high sides on it. I forget his name, but I'm sure someone else will remember. I'm not sure if he's making it yet, but when he does I think he said he was going to ask like $50. I used to have this problem with my 1999, but I got an O-ring chain and it solved the problem, they don't move as much back and forth.

Austin

• Zadok

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:52 PM

Someone on this forum is making a special slider that has high sides on it. I forget his name, but I'm sure someone else will remember. I'm not sure if he's making it yet, but when he does I think he said he was going to ask like $50. I used to have this problem with my 1999, but I got an O-ring chain and it solved the problem, they don't move as much back and forth.

Austin

:lol: I have been looking for the thread too. You are right though,
someone here makes one. I have seen a pic of it, and it looks pretty
good. I couldnt exactly remember if it was here or AdvRider though.
I looked on Ebay but couldnt find it. Im sure someone here will know.

• acarter92

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:54 PM

:lol: I have been looking for the thread too. You are right though,
someone here makes one. I have seen a pic of it, and it looks pretty
good. I couldnt exactly remember if it was here or AdvRider though.
I looked on Ebay but couldnt find it. Im sure someone here will know.

It may have been on AdvRider, but it was definately here too. It wasn't all that long ago. I think he said he was going to put it in the thumpertalk store when he got it into production. I'm going to do some searching and hopefully I'll find it.

Austin

• acarter92

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:02 PM

Found it! Here is a link, about half way down you'll find a picture.

http://www.thumperta...ght=chain guide

Austin

• DrzDasher

Posted February 23, 2009 - 12:24 AM

here it ishttp://www.thumperta...ct=47935&cat=32

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:59 AM

is anyone making a chain guide which stops the chain eating the frame or swingarm or anything.
i dont fancy buying a bike with this problem.
if there's a solution,i'll forgive yamaha this time and buy one!

Yep, that'd be me! :lol:

All the other fixes inevitably cure "most of the slapping and frame wear problem" ...... my guide eliminates the problem completely!!

(BTW: Ignore the eBay ad if you find it guys, I'm selling them cheaper to ThumperTalk members.)

Greg

• kpie

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:05 PM

Greg, What is the process to purchase one of these? Please let me know. I would like to get one ordered. Thank you. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.