stainless stell oil filter/rotella oil

12 replies to this topic
  • Lcpl0331

Posted February 21, 2009 - 12:37 PM

Do any of youe Wr450 riders use these stainless stell oil filters?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

At $53 they are expensive but an OEM filter goes for $13. This thing here will pay for itself within the first year doing regular oil changes.
Also does anyone use the rotella 15/40 oil that walmart sells? I'm nuts about oil changes to the point of almost over doing it and am just trying to be a bit cheap here. If I have to use regular motorcycle oil I will but if I can get by with this stuff then all the better... Thanks

• acarter92

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:09 PM

Aren't the stock air filter's wire mesh (mine are for my 99'). I just flush them out and reuse them.

Austin

• roushxteam199

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:50 PM

ya i use rotella t 15 40. i like it. i have not changed the filter yet.

• verk182

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:40 PM

I am curious is this the Rotella you guys are using?

Posted Image

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Not a good idea to use auto oil in a motorcycle. Completely different shear and wear applications.

http://www.bikenomad...ar_oil_in_bikes

• RedBull420

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:17 PM

I use a Scott's stainless oil filter & Motul 5100 oil.

http://www.scottsper....php?PartType=3

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:43 PM

I am curious is this the Rotella you guys are using?

Posted Image

NO...you want to use the diesel shell rotella (or any diesel oil for that matter)...

I have no complaints with the shell rotella...heck my 06 had 11k miles before i sold it :lol:

Posted Image

• tunefx

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:12 PM

Posted Image

I've been using this one for the last year. I have absolutely no complaints. Thought it might be a little light for the summer but it worked out very well. However, I'm religious about changing the oil frequently. I use a OEM filter.

• brad the best

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:47 PM

i used to run rotella 15w40 in my diesel , its a good oil . i now run valvoline full synthetic 5w40 in it because i can get a better deal on it , personally its a better oil for the diesel .

personally in the bike i run motorex i think , i duno some switzerlandish semi-synthetic oil . i personally really like it .

your getting ripped at 13$ for a filter i get mine for about 4$ .

scotts stainless filter if you do buy one .

lots of people run rotella with out any problems , i know way to much about oils to put rottella in my bike , do i actually think it will cause a problem or premature wear ? everyone has a different take on it . i play it safe with a motorcycle specific oil .

any time it seems like its expensive i just think about my aprilia and its 20$ a liter oil , any other oil and it just shifts like crap . as soon as i put in there recommended oil it purrs like a kitten , maybe its because its 10w60 .

some people believe oil is oil , i have been on job sites were they have 2-3 million dollar peices of equipment and they only orderrf one oil 10wt . thats it , gear box , diffs , hydralics , engine , tranny , swing drives , pump drives everything got 10 wt . nothing blew up .

how ever i convinced them to order 10wt , 30 wt , iso 46 , atf , 15w40 , 80w90 . i dont want to know what the diffs looked like with 10 wt in them since it doesn't have ep additives . *shudders*

• kjr247

Posted February 22, 2009 - 08:15 AM

Sometimes you can find the 5 gallon a way bunch cheaper (than the 1 gallon)at Wal-Market. FYI

• DrzDasher

Posted February 24, 2009 - 09:37 PM

whatever oil you use make sure it has full esters, I don't know about anyone else but I use oem, you can get them at napa with orings for pretty cheap.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 24, 2009 - 10:16 PM

Rotella 5w-40 and a ready racing stainless filter. Drain every 150-200 miles and its good to go.

• init ref

Posted February 25, 2009 - 06:57 PM

NO...you want to use the diesel shell rotella (or any diesel oil for that matter)...

I have no complaints with the shell rotella...heck my 06 had 11k miles before i sold it :lol:

Posted Image

Usually don't get involved in oil threads but...

+++eleventy billion on the Rotella T Diesel.

Scott's Stainless oil filter, not so sure...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.