2001 YZ 426 hard to start!

5 replies to this topic
  • Travbisa

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:55 AM

Bike is having a hard time starting since I took it out of storage. This is what I have done thus far:

- Cleaned out carb
- Replaced spark plug (and is firing)
- New gas
- Checked connections
- Coil checked out fine (multimeter)
- Checked gas tank/ filter/ valve
- Cleaned out air filter
- Checked intake clamps and exhaust for leaks
- Cylinder has high compression

Any other ideas before I pay an arm and a leg at the Yamaha shop? :lol:

• mercier24

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Have you checked the jetting or the air/fuel mixture screw? That might be the problem. If your getting a fat blue spark, fuel and air it should be starting :lol:, thats my .02.

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 21, 2009 - 02:19 PM

Was it starting fine when stored?
Check and adjust the valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:27 PM

A couple things to check... Make sure the idle isn't turned way up & make sure the fuel screw is about 1.5 turns out.

I'm not sure of the temperature of your location, but its cold here and even the best tuned YZF's need a little heat to help get them lit.

• Travbisa

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:53 AM

I was able to get it started! I pulled the choke and kicked her a few times. Then turned the choke off and it fired up! Weird. Any suggestions on how to fix that one? It is like 40 deg today in MD. Thanks for all your help, it saved me some $$

• usmcpaul

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:45 PM

Below 50 degrees most bike are difficult to start, at least more difficult than at 80 degrees. I would just put some gas stabilizer in it, run it for 5 minutes and then wait for warmer weather to make a 'repair it' decision.

I can get mine started at 5 degrees, but why, unless you are drunk, or ice racing. ( I was not ice racing :lol: )

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.