Top End Time

3 replies to this topic
  • Zeak

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:24 AM

It's time for a new top end on my 06' (it's making expensive metallic noises :worthy: ). Our mechanic is tearing it down today, but's 99% sure it's piston slap. What after market components have you used? Cylinder, piston, valves etc. Also, what's you opinion on after market vs OEM? Better, waste of money etc. I want to get the most bang for my buck. :lol:

• zuch95701

Posted February 21, 2009 - 01:55 PM

athena is a good cylinder. JE is the best piston i have ever used. Stock valves hold up great if you want tougher you can get some from kibblewhite. As for gaskets go with stock for everything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:37 PM

je pistons are good quality , i would choose them over wiseco . wiseco is a good second choice , oem is all top notch .

i would go with stock valves .

athena has a good reputation , oem cylinders are also of good quality . there is also ice cube , never herd anything bad about them . and they are supposed to make the bike run cooler because of larger water jackets .

i say try out the ice cube for us , plus you can get them in blue .

• zuch95701

Posted February 22, 2009 - 10:38 AM

I have ran one of the ice cube big bore stroker kits on one of the many 250fs i have had. The bike pulled like a 450 but had the weight of a 250. very nice cylinder that held up very well.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.