Hard to start WR426 after a LONG break

26 replies to this topic

Posted February 13, 2003 - 09:46 PM

I was wondering if any of you have run into this problem. My WR has been sitting w/o gas in it or the carb for about 3 months and I decided to start it the other day. Filled her up, primed the carb and I kicked and kicked and kicked some more. I have NEVER had a problem starting this bike...EVER! This was with the hot start, w/o the hot start, after checking the plug, everything. Any ideas?

• r1superstar

Posted February 14, 2003 - 08:06 AM

Two things here:
1) Cold starting should be done with the choke (not the hot start) and two or three twist of the trottle before kicking.

2) Perhaps the plug is no good. Condensation can bulid in the cylinder and when you kicked the bike, it may have wet the plug.

Again the first one I always do, the second is a suggestion. Good Luck!..............db :)

• x2smoker

Posted February 14, 2003 - 08:11 AM

Did you use the choke (cold start button)? Use of the Hot Start would lessen the chance of it starting.

I plan on starting mine up tomorrow. It has been in the family room for a couple of months getting its PM's and winter mods. The tank and carb was drained for 3 months now. I antisipate start up within 5 kicks, hope I'm right. I'll post the results.

x2

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted February 14, 2003 - 08:28 AM

This problem has been posted before but no one has found what is really causing it.
The cure is the past has been towing the bike in gear until it starts.
Does the bike kick over like it has no compression??

• Hick

Posted February 14, 2003 - 08:30 AM

If I have gas in the carb that is older than one month I don't even bother trying to start it w/out draining the carb bowl. It only takes a few seconds.

• r1superstar

Posted February 14, 2003 - 08:40 AM

If I have gas in the carb that is older than one month I don't even bother trying to start it w/out draining the carb bowl. It only takes a few seconds.

He stated it was empty.

• Thumpleupagus

Posted February 14, 2003 - 10:39 AM

1) Cold starting should be done with the choke (not the hot start) and two or three twist of the trottle before kicking.

What??? :)
I guess different things work for different people, but I've never given it throttle before starting it-ever. Whether 2 months off or 2 minutes off-no throttle...
(did I mention no throttle?)

I'm not sure if it matters, but I always turn my gas off when I'm done riding and essentially "let it run out of gas" and die before putting it away for a day or more... I don't actually kill the engine with the switch. Did you use the hot start or the choke? That to me seems like the first thing to change (or maybe you just mistyped).

How did you go about "priming the carb"? I usually just grab my comp release, kick it through 6 or 8 times, then get after it. It starts after months of sitting withing 4 or 5 kicks...

• r1superstar

Posted February 14, 2003 - 10:48 AM

What???
I guess different things work for different people, but I've never given it throttle before starting it-ever. Whether 2 months off or 2 minutes off-no throttle...
(did I mention no throttle?)

I guess it does? What works for me may not work for others. Stick to your technique and I'll stick to mine.

I am very aware of Flatslide carbs and what they do. Perhaps I found somethng...... :D

Peace.............db :)

• x2smoker

Posted February 15, 2003 - 05:10 AM

Even on Dr. D's '02 starting demo (Yamaha website), he recomended 2 twists of the throttle if the bike hasn't been started for a day or more.

You guys are scaring me now. I am about 4 hours from giving mine a start, been 3 months. Hope I don't have to tow it to get it started 'cause all the streets here have about an inch of compacted snow/ice, meaning no traction. It's about 18 degrees outside right now, so temp ain't on my side either. I think a couple extra twists are in order.

Let you know how I did later.............

x2

• cmore

Posted February 15, 2003 - 06:35 AM

My bike has been siiting w/ carb empty since first of november. I started it up last week w/ no problem, I just turned fuel on , full choke, didn't twist throttle at all, took about 5 kicks & she's breathing fire. just got done putting the finishing touches on making her street legal.
last night. all I need know is a mirror, & the local coppers to give it a passing grade. !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cmore

Posted February 15, 2003 - 06:38 AM

How do you like the clarke tank setup , I'm thinking of buying same, does the plastic color match

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 15, 2003 - 07:20 AM

When either of my WR's are cold I NEVER touch the throttle, if I would the bike would take much longer to start. If I were you I'de change the plug and run some new gas through the carb and try to start it. It could be that your float got stuck a little and just needs some fresh gas to get things flowing again.

Also, I always kick the bike with compression release lever in a few times just to get the compression release system going, it seems to me when you do this "TDC" is easier to find making for easier starting.

Dan

• x2smoker

Posted February 15, 2003 - 11:23 AM

Here's how it went:

1. Put in 1 quart of fresh fuel

2. Let the carb fill

3. 2 twists on the throttle

4. Pull out choke

5. 1st kick, it fired a couple of hits

6. 2nd kick, spun right up

x2

• x2smoker

Posted February 15, 2003 - 11:29 AM

Oh. I forgot to mention that it still has the original spark plug!

• YamaGeek

Posted February 15, 2003 - 01:21 PM

I am not a long term rider WR 426 rider so take this for what its worth. I have not been able to ride the last couple of weekends due to the weather but I have been loading the bike up and taking it to a buddies garage to work on it. Weekend before last when I tried to fire it up it took a good 15 minutes to get her going. I did not touch the throttle, just choke. This weekend, just this morning, when starting it I gave the throttle a couple of slow twists, pulled the choke, let it sit for about a minute to let the fuel vaporize a bit, and she fired the second kick. My starting procedure after a long idle period will include a couple of twists of the throttle.

• r1superstar

Posted February 15, 2003 - 03:36 PM

Once again,

Thank you gents (x2smoker, YamaGeek) that have done the twist of the throttle before starting. I just wish others would try it before slamming me. :)

Oh well, peace my brothers/sisters

• Butta

Posted February 15, 2003 - 03:54 PM

Um, 7 months of no starting...no throttle twists :), choke on, pulled the decomp lever, found TDC twice (two spins through the cycle, real slow), started on second kick. I don't see where the problem is??? These bikes are awsome. :D

• r1superstar

Posted February 15, 2003 - 06:26 PM

Um, 7 months of no starting...no throttle twists , choke on, pulled the decomp lever, found TDC twice (two spins through the cycle, real slow), started on second kick. I don't see where the problem is??? These bikes are awsome.

Hey Butta,

I didn't say they sucked, just offering a technique to those who have a hard time starting them. I love my WR426FP!! Sure beats having a WR450... :)

• Hick

Posted February 15, 2003 - 07:09 PM

He stated it was empty.

Oops. :)

In that case I vote for needle valve stuck closed. Maybe a few taps on the carb bowl w/ a screwdriver handle will allow it to unseat.

BTW I also use the two-blip method w/ the throttle. That would probably flood the bike ordinarily but I have limited the accelerator pump by about 1/3 w/ a BK screw. I also turn the idle up a bit so it will warm up unattended whilst I put on my helmet etc.

In the summer I don't use the choke, just the blips (and higher idle), but I'm at 4,000 ft. and the stock choke jet was too big. I finally replaced it w/ a smaller size and now the bike will actually run w/ the choke on when it is cold. I never used it before, because it just didn't work. More idle, more blips always worked in the "winter" (if you could call it that) down here.

Posted February 18, 2003 - 09:41 PM

Well, I have done the towing thing on a friends WR400. My starting routine has always been (cold weather) choke, 2-3 twists, kick, fires up!! Now I have messed up before and flooded it (I thought I did this in my 1st post, ref. me saying I used the hot start) and I just turn off the choke, pull the hot start and it fires right up. I REALLY can't figure it out? I changed the plug (orig plug) but I believe I will have to do the tow thing...the WR is now another victim of the non-starting monster!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.